TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Spark Plug Blow Out  (Read 2188 times)

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
Spark Plug Blow Out
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »

I've had a spark plug blow out on the same cylinder twice in 10 days.  (Facing vehicle from front, second cyl from right).  Changed the plugs and changed oil (5w-30).  What may be the cause?  Whats the best (or least cost intensive) fix? 

Thanks for your insights - appreciate the help -
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

blueamber

Re: Spark Plug Blow Out
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:35:29 PM »

The cause is stripped threads in the head.  Happens when someone over-tightens the plugs in that aluminum head, when in doubt use a torque wrench.  A helicoil can be installed that basically replaces the threads in the head, but this is a kind of precise job that a mechanic should attempt.  I would think less than $100 repair, but don't quote me...Chris

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:52 PM »

You da man, Chris!  Consistent with web search findings.  Thank you!
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 12:59:46 AM »

For spark plug threads they do make an insert, made by the brand "heli-coil" but it's a actual insert.

It may be worth taking to a garage to have them do it, I've done them before they're not much fun.

The Capri uses a particularly deep thread, might have to find an insert with longer threaded section. The ones I've seen in the standard kits might not do the trick.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"