TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: AC Issue  (Read 2979 times)

owent616

• 1991 Capri XR2
AC Issue
« on: September 13, 2023, 11:53:34 AM »

When I purchased this car it did not have a working AC and the guy who sold it to me said that I would probably have to convert it to a new AC since the refrigerant was no longer made. However, I feel like it is a wiring issue with the AC control panel and I think that bc a few other switches needed to be replaced when I first bought the car. The ac does kinda work if you do something specific the ac button I usually keep pushed down but the little green light doesn't normally turn on unless I keep the ac fan speed indicator hovering over speed 1 but it doesn't blow any air when the fan speed is on 1 or 2 however it does blow if it's over 3 or 4 and it will even blow cold air after hovering over 1 for long enough but it only lasts a few seconds. my summer has been hell but I managed I'm just wondering if anyone else experienced something similar. I purchased a new AC control panel recently but I never actually installed it because I couldn't figure out how to get the radio out so I didn't try that hard bc I was scared to break the radio. Any Ideas or suggestions?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: AC Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 09:03:50 AM »

Pretty common problem. There are two things that cause the A/C to work. One is to push in the button, the second is to turn on the fan. There is a circuit that goes thru each fan speed to close the circuit to the A/C. The contacts in the fan speed switch get corroded and there isn't enough current flowing to activate. The switch is cleanable similar to the window switches, the big problem is getting to it.
Jack Byrd