TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Steering upgrade  (Read 2711 times)

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
Steering upgrade
« on: July 06, 2014, 11:12:10 PM »

So I made the first 200 mile run with my 91 XR2.  she rides very good for a car of her age.  I was driving along and thinking the steering was a bit vague.  Has anyone made any upgrades to their steering?  Is there a way to tighten up the rack?  should I go with replacing the inner and outer tie rods?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Steering upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:42:45 PM »

Check tire pressure. Check or replace outer tie rods, inner tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings. Alignment.
Then grab a front strut bar.

The steering should be quite tight & responsive on your Capri.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:49:14 AM »

So I read a post of yours from a while back.  How difficult was it to replace the inner tie rods?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:06:21 AM »

I never got around to changing any of my inner tie rods. (none of mine have actually been bad, it's always turned out to be the tie rod ends or ball joints) I had a rack on the bench which I tried to remove the inners from, and I didn't get very far. I can't remember what held me up. To do it in-car requires a special tool, that I do know
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:58:11 PM »

Hey Rocket, I took your advice and had the tires balanced and rotated.  Wow what a difference.  It makes a huge difference when your tires aren't bouncing up and down like basketballs.