Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Engine & Drivetrain Swaps

Who's gonna be the first to swap in a KL V6?

<< < (2/11) > >>

CapriXR2:
I raced a coworkers K20 swapped civic coupe with my XR2 pushin 14-15psi and got walked on. I wouldn't mind a swap too. 200HP stock KLZE... But what transmission would be best?

Rocketman:
A stock KL transmission with the XR2 diff swapped into it. There's no other options beyond that, other than custom/adapter plate

CapriXR2:
That sounds like more than I can handle. The diff swap would be difficult.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4504803140.html

Local enough, a GS MX3 I could use for donor parts. Pick up the KLZE off eBay and use my VJ off the XR2 for 5PSI of extra HP! Maybe that is too much work... But the KLZE swap would be nuts. Can the stock (XR2) axles be used with the KL trans ?

Rocketman:
The MX3 came with the 1.8 V6 - you don't really want that. The wire harness from it would be helpful though.

"Damkid" Did a writeup on the diff swap. There's info on ClubProtege and FordFestiva.com . You could also buy an MFactory LSD for the Capri (it will fit in the V6 trans) this way you get the benefit of the LSD + being able to use stock axles.

The V6 transmission uses 28 spline inner axle stubs, the Capri uses 26 spline, so they won't play together without the diff swap. (the swap makes the v6 trans use 26 spline stubs) There's no other way that I know of to make a hybrid axle set, other than welding, or custom machined axle shafts - one isn't reliable and the other is $$$

The VJ14 is too small for the 1.6L. You do NOT want to put that on a KL lol. There's plenty of turbo KL's out there - check out probetalk.com for their setups, there's a few proven tried&true setups. Most of them are over the 300whp mark, with 2.5L at your disposal it doesn't take much boost to make a ton of power

CapriXR2:
Thanks for the info Matt. I honestly want to make this KLZE happen.

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?18065-How-To-V6-Swap-Guide

In this the author claims a GS MX3 is what's best. I know this is a lot of work and I am filled with questions.

I can pick up that local GS for 1k should I do it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version