TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: 1992xr2' picture/build thread no 56k UPDATE 4/25 , blown motor out, wire tuck  (Read 53207 times)

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer

Hey Russ! Yea I did! Being a service plumber, those things are quickly caught. I've lost two customers houses and a couple restraunt and apartment customers also over those problems in the last 30yrs.One day they are there, the next not.  Gus.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com

One of the buildings was a Tuxedo store, and after the smoke cleared, people saw 15-20 bodies strewn all over the pavement in front of the mall. Imagine how relived they were to discover the "bodies" were just mannakins (spelling)!!!

---Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

1992xr2

lol, I drove by there a few days ago, but anyways. I can't beleive that the explosion made news in CA.  She runs now!!!!  I just spent 3 hours ripping her all around from Gurnee, to Libertyville, to Kenosha and everywhere in between.  The shop charged me more than twice what their original estimate was going to be.  i'm going to be paying it off for months   :(    
On the plus side, she bloody rips.  The clutch isn't  that  bad for daily driving.  You can't really just inch forward, you need to wait until you have multiple car lengths in front of you, rev it up to ~2000 then let out the clutch, lurch forward and stop again but hard shifting bloody rocks!  the first time I nailed it, I burned most of first, a few feet of second and barked third.  It is so cool.  The pedal effort is lighter than stock but you can really feel the engagement point.  When disengaged the effort is so light I thoguht the pedal was stuck, then it gets really hard at the engagement point, which just encourages you to lurch and burn rubber until you get used to it.  All 3 people who have driven it chirp reverse and 1st.  The mechanic left a 2 ft stripe in his garage in reverse and he has a 9 sec Mustang dual purpose car.  EVerything is more vocal with the interior gone, I hear all sorts of new noises.  IDK why I ever considered selling her for a  subaru :ugh.  This post is absolutely all over the place.  With just the ac compressor and bracket gone I've removed ~30 pounds from in front of the front axles      On tues and Weds I'm off work so I plan on removing every thing else AC related which will be for sale along with the rest of my interior      The filled motor mounts don't really vibrate that much at idle although the dif is noticable, motor oscilation is greatly decresed although not completely gone   :(  

HAHA long post, I'm so GD excited!!!!
EDIT: Oh and Yuri, you wanted to know about Bob's.  They have great mechanics but their customer service sucks ass and parts markup is out of this world (205 for an oil pump, 44 valve cover gasket, etc.)  This repair started with a 3 and had a comma.
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

Do you realize that new clutches have a 500 to 1000 mile break in period?

They should be treated extremly easily, no hard shifting, burnouts, high rev shifts...just normal, easy street driving

But thats up to you. Might be having that replaced before the bill is payed off...
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

1992xr2

Full faced clutches do but puck clutches just need a couple good slips, which the previous owner had been kind enough to do for me.  This isn't just me talking out my ass either; both the tech support at ACT and Igor at Clutchnet told me this.
\\\'90 Civic Si

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer

Hey Buzzards! Pipe down in your squabbles. But yes Xr2, You should give a few miles. It sounds like you have them now though. Good luck and keep it sane. You remember the comments on the 323 forum. My feeling is if you find the necessity to partake, then do it on the freeway when traffic is non-existant. Otherwise bring it to the track.  Gus.

Yuri

• Old-Timer

now that your baby is back, u me and russ are going to have to take our capri's to the drag strip. i wonder how good mine will do now with a clutch thats dying. lol

1992xr2

I've been driving her like crazy.  It is very hard to not launch, I'm peeling out and chirping all the time, lol.  My left calf is painfully sore, I can barely straighten it w/o wincing, lol
I think my turbo might be on the way out  :(  it makes this noise very quietly when spooling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsKNdtKE28
I'm not sure if I'm just hearing nuances in the turbo that I couldn't hear with an interior or if I've actually f'ed it over.  I'll probably save for a couple weeks and buy a used vj-11 then have a friend weld me up a DP then weld up a rear section that goes under the rear subframe and has no muffler, like on rocketman's website.
I think I might buy a boost gauge and battery box tomorrow.  I want to put the gauge in the driver's side vent and stick the battery at the passenger's feet temporarily.  We'll see.  There's really nothing to take pictures of, it looks the same as always, but I'll be sure to post pics of all the work I do on tues and weds.
\\\'90 Civic Si

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer

I have an extra guagepod I might be convinced to split with.

If you're turbo is making a similar noise, then yea, its shot. If the compressor is touching the housing, its no good. Can still make boost but its not gunna last.

I blew the turbo in my first capri, it made loud whining noises and sometimes would not boost, and blew a heinous amount of blue oil smoke. Used about a quart in 25 miles just getting it home to park it.

1992xr2

It still spools every bit the sme as it always has, it just has a very subtle whine, no where near as loud as the one in the vid but it's there.  It also does the hestitation at full boost thing.  I guess coilovers are waiting until after a vj-11 and ewg    :(  
I'm not a big fan of a-pillar gauges since I live in a ghetto and that sort fo thing is way too easy to jack quickly and quietly as well as sort of un-sleeperfying it.  With the snow tires, stock exhaust and ride height no one know I'm packing heat, I had a Chevy Aveo try to race me after I chirped at a stop light.  I'd like to keep it so that no one notices the turbo until I cane it     THanks for offering though
EDIT: I wanted to add that even though the pedal is still sort of light, the need to carefully modulate the pedal for every shift and every start and absolutely everything really wears out your leg.  I've put maybe 80 miles on her since Sat and my left leg is sooo sore I can't extend it all the way without wincing.  I also have incredibly whimpy legs (I'm 6'0 and ~135 on a good day), but just something to think about for someone who would consider doing something similar clutch-wise.
\\\'90 Civic Si

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer

Why so hellbent on a EWG? They're hard to install, you're going to ghetto rig it into the stock manifold...

A ported IWG works fine to hold the boost.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer

Hey Xr2! I'm thinkin maybe you should look for some pressure leaks on your whine. Check even on the suction side. When I see you guys this summer, if you really are that size, look-out. When I go blowin past you, tou better be fully strapped in or the vacumn created will pull you out.  Gus

1992xr2

I'll answer the wastegate question with one video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is6SRbqqisM

Gus, I'll check all of the intake and intercooler clamps after school tomorrow, thanks for the idea.  It may be that you'll suck me out of my car, but I have 50 pounds less to accelerate, so you won't be able to blow by me quite so fast.

And a new toy:

Cheap parts turn ya out.

It's going to be mounted in the hole that was previously the upper left heater vent, which never actually blew out heat.

I came home and told my dad that I got some unexpected money from work so I went out and bought some parts, he told me very matter-of-factly that I was excessive and obsessed, I very matter-of-factly agreed, lol.

My leg seems to be somewhat better.  I had my first decent launch today, I had no traction in first, shifted hard into 2nd and made an absolutely brilliant smoke screen with the left tire which really confused the driver of the hopped=up SE-R who happened to be in my way.
\\\'90 Civic Si

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer

I'll answer the wastegate question with one video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is6SRbqqisM
*shakes head*

If you put a screamer pipe on a capri its going to sound like shit.

My leg seems to be somewhat better. I had my first decent launch today, I had no traction in first, shifted hard into 2nd and made an absolutely brilliant smoke screen with the left tire which really confused the driver of the hopped=up SE-R who happened to be in my way.
*shakes head again*

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer

Hey XR2! I'm also giving you 150lbs in driver weight. LOL------.  Gus
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11