TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: 1992xr2' picture/build thread no 56k UPDATE 4/25 , blown motor out, wire tuck  (Read 53045 times)

1992xr2

1992xr2' picture/build thread no 56k UPDATE 4/25 , blown motor out, wire tuck
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »

That's the way Dave Colaman of Sport Compact Car and Mazdaspeed fame did the mounts of his rally car, which is good enough for me; him being one of the smartest people in the automotive industry and owning a bunch of badass and incredibly fast cars, and having a hand in designing the Mazdaspeed 3 and all of its Mazdaspeed performance products.  The key is to make sure the mounts are really clean and let them set for at least a day.  Oh, and this is the stuff that is used to hold windsheilds on, I can't imagine that the force of the mtor moving is any greater than the force of the wind on a windshield at 100+.
My dad is installing a Wideband oxygen sensor controller.  WB02s need a computer to power the 02 sesnor and turn the information from the wb02 into useful information.  The thing to the left is a terminal strip that has power and ground for any electronics he would ever want to install and at the botttom is the fuse block.
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

What system are you installing? The PLX unit I got was just a few wires, nothing crazy like that.

Also, I've filled motor mounts like that. They do help, but mine didnt last all that long. I did make sure they were clean and all that BS, left em sit 24hrs, ect. Still ripped apart after 6 months or so. I filled one with a plastic castable urethane I use for stuff at work, its held up for quite a long time now.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

1992xr2

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »

I'm not installing one, it's a techedge in my dads protege.
\\\'90 Civic Si

1992xr2

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »

I neglected to mention that some of those wires are power for MS in the future and there are wires for about of I/Os and datalogging, but that was only half done, there are a bunch more now.  

On battery relocation news, I found this gem on a DSM forum:

http://www.gruberpower.com/gruberpower/advertising/batteries/cutsheets/58-PC-680.asp

$70.50 shipped to my door, it's made in the same factory as the Odyssey batteries and has exactly the same specs.  I can just dissect the factory battery harness run it through the grommet on the firewall, lengthen it very slightly and mount the battery under the passenger seat.  I'm going to remove the factory ECU grounds off the engine and have a ground terminal power strip in the glove box and run grounds for everything EMS there, I'm also going to take power from the CC harness and have a power harness under there too, makes wiring anything really easy. I'll probably relocate the grounding bracket from the driver's side to the passenger side and run a new ground from there to the transmission.
\\\'90 Civic Si

1992xr2

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »

New news from the shop: I have very tired rings and valves  :(   They smoked it from underneath (if I understood correctly) and smoke ended up in the combustion chambers  :(   I'm going to keep her for at least another couple years and do some of the stuff I planned on but now I ahve to decide, do I want to buy a shell, paint it falt black and install a mildly built engine (9:1 pistons and CS cams) and just race the hell out of her or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuCZMvMnyPw
Or I suppose I could just do both.

Cliff notes: The Capri needs more money, Phil contemplates buying a Subaru.
\\\'90 Civic Si

Yuri

• Old-Timer
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »

the STi will just get you in trouble

spiro

• http://N/a
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »

the white one is nice........

spiro - 1989 SA Ford Capri

STE_6000

• Old-Timer
    • http://teamcapri.com
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

go with the capri, it looks better!
Anthony
Cadillac STS 05 Silver Metallic V8-Northstar
-Tinted Windows 20%
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Corsa Exhaust
-Phillips 6,000K HID Low Beams
-Phillips 6,000K HID Fog Lights
-Factory upgrade radio to 8\\" touch screen navi with 6 disc dvd changer.

http://teamcapri.com\\" target=\\"_blank\\">

1992xr2

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »

I know, I know...I think a flat-black Capri with a hard top, 11/t-bird, Megasquirt and a LSD would be sex on wheels, but after all of that money, I still have a 16 year old convertible that's increasingly difficult to get parts for.  AHHH!  Maybe I'll just start saving money and when the Capri goes pop I'll decide then  :(
\\\'90 Civic Si

pmpsht

• Old-Timer
    • http://www.TunerFixx.com
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »

Shoot!  My stock NA could've got me into trouble, hehe.
Cory Barry
93 XR2 Project \\"Blue Flame\\"
Starion Intercooled, VJ14/11 Hybrid
TunerFixx Dual Stage Boost Controller, Spec Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, RocketChip ECU **SOLD**
91 NA Silver/Teal (Looks Fast)*SOLD*  
http://www.Tunerfixx.com\\" target=\\"_blank\\">TunerFixx.com Capri Performance: Links, Multimedia, Tech

1992xr2

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »

So, more news from the shop, the mechanic was very impressed with how overeated the clutch and flywheel had been, and he buildds racecars in his spare time, lol.  Apparently splipper style launchs on an oil soaked clutch with stickier than stock tires was outside of the design parameters when whatever POS OEM replacement company made this clutch    .  And a question, there is a sensor on the back side of the block under the IM that hAS two different one wire leads and is leaking oil, everyone I've talked to about it thinks it's the oil pressure gauge sener andone wire goes to the gauge and the other ot the idiot light, is this correct? Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the owner is fairly certain that I'll get it back on Sat! after 19 days in the shop and 2.5 months after it broke, I can't wiat!!!!!!!!!1
\\\'90 Civic Si

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »

There are two sensors down there. The upper one is the knock sensor for the knockbox, and the lower one is your oil pressure sender. Seeing as the oil pressure sender only has one wire I'm assuming you're talking about the knock sensor.

I had one that started to leak, I took the rear plug  out and re-sealed it with RTV. YMMV
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

1992xr2

« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »

More new updates:  The shop pretty mcuh ignored the sensor because it didn't return their call fast enough, lol.  The engine is back in the car, the axle seals are replaced, it has oil, transmission fluid and coolant.  The ACT/Clutchnet hybrid clutch is in with a new pilot bearing and throwout bearing, the oil and water pumps are new, every belt has been replaced with a "quiet" (I lol'd about a quiet belt on a car with no interior) Goodyear belt, every oil seal is new, the motor mounts are filled and all they need to do is finish connecting hoses and wires and figure out how much money I owe them.  It's definately going to have a comma in it :wince: I'm hoping it starts with a 1 and not a 2, lol.  
They shed some light on the popping of my oil seals, however.  There was a fair amount of carbon buildup on the back of the seals which were all dry and cracked.  Apparently as oil gets older is gains acidity, especially dino oils; when the oil is changed infrequently it becomes acidic and eats away at all of the rubber parts it come in contact with which dry out and crack and start leaking.  When these cracks are present during stressful enough situations, such as bumping the rev limiter in fourth at WOT and 9+ pounds of boost, all hell lets loose.
That is all, I promise many glorious pictures when I get it back tomorrow!!!!!1 and Sunday when I plan on washing and waxing her for the first time since fall and putting my summer tires back on, putting the top down (it's going to be a balmy 43* in Waukegan) and letting her rip  ;)
\\\'90 Civic Si

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »

Hey XR2! Good luck and wary of gas line explosions at strip malls, they can hurt.  Gus

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »

Gus-
Holy C__p!! You guys heard about that all the way out there in CA?????? Wow, I'm impressed!!  That section of town is pretty much a ghetto, I'm surprised any of the networks found it newsworthy
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11