TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Out dammed beepping  (Read 6273 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Out dammed beepping
« on: January 19, 2016, 06:52:20 PM »

Got something new again.  I searched though the manual and couldn't find any reference to beeping.  In my search, I found a reference to a buzzer which a PO apparently had removed.  There isn't any buzzing related to seat beats, ignition, or doors.  This beeping seems to be some kind of code.  It can happen at any time. When driving there are five beeps, five times.  What is really curious is that when the car is sitting, ignition off, it will beep five times and then quit.  Then it will do it again after a while.  I checked and the ignition was off.  I didn't drive it for about 10 days waiting for a door handle and good time to install it and the battery ran down during that time, wonder if that was the reason.  Any ideas.  If it's the infamous air bag warning, where is the beeper, I don't want an air bag anyway.

Thanks, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Out dammed beepping
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 08:17:13 PM »

If you find out what's running your battery down you found the culprit. Things like beeps shouldn't happen with the key off so it sounds like a short.

Other thoughts? An old alarm system/remote start still installed? Look for a brain box and a bunch of wire splices near the ignition wiring harness under the driver's dash.

Maybe the alternator quit right before you parked it. Low voltage will make the BCM do funny things.

Not sure of the infamous air bag thing but it seems like that would light up the air bag light if there was a malfunction.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:28:07 AM »

If you find out what's running your battery down you found the culprit. Things like beeps shouldn't happen with the key off so it sounds like a short.

Other thoughts? An old alarm system/remote start still installed? Look for a brain box and a bunch of wire splices near the ignition wiring harness under the driver's dash.

Maybe the alternator quit right before you parked it. Low voltage will make the BCM do funny things.

Not sure of the infamous air bag thing but it seems like that would light up the air bag light if there was a malfunction.

Thanks Mitch, no alarm and it's a manual so, no remote start.  No mess under the dash.  The alternator is okay as I recharged and desulfinated the battery and it's been fine since, even with this miserable cold weather.  The air bag light has been on since I bought it, this has just started in the last few days.

Thanks again, Jack
Jack Byrd

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:13:18 AM »

The five sets of five beep code is the airbag module warning buzzer. The buzzer is located inside the blue airbag module located behind the dash.

Your battery drain might be the airbag system, but generally the two main reasons are the trunk and the glove box lights not shutting off.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 11:15:06 AM »

The five sets of five beep code is the airbag module warning buzzer. The buzzer is located inside the blue airbag module located behind the dash.

Your battery drain might be the airbag system, but generally the two main reasons are the trunk and the glove box lights not shutting off.

Okay, this sounds interesting.  Can the airbag module simply be removed?  I only recently noticed the trunk light and it doesn't work.  That's for another day.  The glove box light doesn't work.  Didn't know I had one of those either.  Have to check out those lights.

Thanks Chris

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 11:15:25 AM »

You should be able to just unplug it.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »

You should be able to just unplug it.

Kewl, that's what I was hoping to hear.  I have a replacement clock I can do at the same time.  That's after I dig it out of the snow.

Thanks Chris,   Jack
Jack Byrd

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 12:58:44 PM »

I had my battery drain due to the glove box light.  The glove box door sags just a bit and one day it sagged just enough to keep the light on, which I was unaware of.  I came out the next day and had to jump it.  The only reason I figured out it was the glove box light was when I drove it at night.  When I pulled into the garage and parked, I could see the light on in the glove box.  I simply pulled the lamp out and the battery has been fine ever since.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 11:36:05 AM »

Thanks Dave, I can't see any light from the box at night nor is there a light when I open the box, so I guess my light doesn't even work.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

blueamber

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 01:51:07 AM »

Sounds like the air bag beep, if the bulb is burnt out it beeps... if it tries to beep with the ignition off, and you are getting a battery drain, I'd suspect the ignition switch is going bad, leaving the ignition energized and running down the battery...

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »

Yesterday when I got it dug out, I turned the switch and the battery was dead and the beep started immediately and continued after I turned it off.  The bag light is on and has been since I got the car a year ago.  Hopefully I'll be able to work on it in the next few days.

Thanks, Jack
Jack Byrd

JJ

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »

I get the airbag buzzer... but my light also works. i only hear it if I put it in accessories mode (turn key towards you rather than away to start...).  I supposed if the light was burned out, it may activate the buzzer in all modes... ? it does eventually go away after like 5-10 cycles of beeps. does yours ever quit?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 11:38:16 AM »

Hi JJ, my bag light has been on ever since I bought the car a year ago.  The beeping only started recently.  It does it ignition on or off.  5 beeps/5 times.  The battery ran down during our snow event.  It was beeping when I disconnected the battery and started up again when I installed the charged battery.  It's really annoying, but the weather is going to have to improve a lot before I'm willing to try to do something about it.

Thanks, Jack
Jack Byrd