TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Engine coolant boiling from reservoir  (Read 7111 times)

Casper

• 93 XR2 and 91 Turbo Clubsprint (tribute)
Engine coolant boiling from reservoir
« on: December 24, 2015, 07:20:42 AM »

Hi, I couldn't find a topic like this so started a new one if anyone can help....

what a better way to spend xmas eve than diagnosing a cooling problem on a 93 N/A XR2 in a very hot South Australia (40deg C today - 102 F..!!!).  It all started when my wife took Casper (my white friendly capri) for a drive around the burbs to deliver some gifts and cards.....when she returned I noticed coolant dripping from overlow (under the front wheel) and could hear it boiling out (definitely boiling not bubbling)....lifting the bonnet showed the issue.  The temp gauge was showing higher than usual at about 3/4 (normally about 1/3rd) but not in red danger zone.  No steam or leaks apparent anywhere in engine bay - in the end only a small amount of coolant overflowed in pan I put underneath to see how much was coming out.

I waited for the engine to cool to check levels - reservoir returned to normal level, no water apparent in oil and no oil apparent in radiator undercap.  Level in radiator was also normal.  Fan was turning on and off as usual.

I started the engine with radiator cap off and watched the coolant level rise to overflow out the neck (very slowly) - no bubbles in coolant in radiator apparent from engine running cold (well as cold as it can be in 40 deg C heat).....I assume coolant rising means the water pump is working but coolant cant recirculate through the system?

Any ideas on the problem? - I am assuming a need to change the radiator cap and also thermostat as first test - a blocked radiator was suggested in family discussions.....or perhaps this was an aberration from the extreme heat today (never seen this problem before).

No aircon working in the car either - fitted but leak in compressor so not used for the past couple of year (last couple of summers not so hot..!! - this one may test me)

Any knowledge on this would be appreciated as I ponder over Xmas Lunch tomorrow.......

Merry Xmas..!

Paul

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Engine coolant boiling from reservoir
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »

I've had this issue before - it's usually a bad radiator cap.

Keep an eye on the hoses when you replace the cap - proper pressure in the system can make some things pop
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Casper

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 05:16:44 AM »

Thanks Rocketman - will see how that works - appreciate the response.

Merry Xmas....

Paul

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 08:07:08 AM »

I've had this issue before - it's usually a bad radiator cap.

Keep an eye on the hoses when you replace the cap - proper pressure in the system can make some things pop

That's interesting, I've had that issue a couple of times and the cap was new a year ago.  It's the flip type, I wonder if I didn't have it locked or if it's just bad.

Jack
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »

If its not the cap it is possible for the head gasket to crack between a cylinder and coolant port. Especially if you have high miles on that gasket. I think it's recommended to change at 60k but you can get more like 80-100k miles before you suspect possible old age failure. Sometimes it's a hairline crack and acts like a check valve keeping the coolant from going in your oil or exhaust. It opens more as the engine heats up. Slim possibility but I have seen it before. Get the engine up to operating temperature with the cap off and see if it bubbles and that it is circulating. You can squeeze the upper radiator hose and quick release you would feel the surge of coolant if its pumping properly.
I would change the cap and if that doesn't fix it then run a compression check. T-stats normally stick open but they too can get stuck closed.

It's an unusual 68°F here but its been raining dingos and roos all week. Flood warnings out. I'll trade you for that 102°F. :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:04:20 AM by mitch1204 »

Casper

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 07:22:43 PM »

We would be happy to swap for 68 deg after a week over 100 deg - worse is the nights which stayed at 90 deg all night..!!

No wonder my capri had a moment...!!

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 11:04:07 PM »

I have seen a cap cause this, even in colder weather in a different Ford, an Aerostar. I had the head gaskets replaced only to see the overflow tank overflow again. My dad, a lifelong mechanic said, "replace the radiator cap with an OEM spec cap and your problem will go away". Dad was right. I spent a lot on that one, I should have asked dad first!

I had a similar problem with my XR2 two winters ago. It blew one of the small coolant hoses for the turbo, and I thought everything would be fine after I replaced all the small coolant hoses. It was about 30 degrees below freezing (0 deg Fahrenheit) for the whole week following, and I was having coolant overflow every day that week when I got home from work (25 miles). At first I thought the system just had some air trapped within it, but eventually I figured out that the coolant temperature sensor (the one that informs the ECM) had failed, and that was what caused the blown hose in the first place. Once I replaced the sensor (RockAuto was less than $20) the problems ceased.

Check the specified resistance of that sensor.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 12:35:42 AM »

If its not the cap it is possible for the head gasket to crack between a cylinder and coolant port. Especially if you have high miles on that gasket. I think it's recommended to change at 60k but you can get more like 80-100k miles before you suspect possible old age failure. Sometimes it's a hairline crack and acts like a check valve keeping the coolant from going in your oil or exhaust. It opens more as the engine heats up. Slim possibility but I have seen it before. Get the engine up to operating temperature with the cap off and see if it bubbles and that it is circulating. You can squeeze the upper radiator hose and quick release you would feel the surge of coolant if its pumping properly.
I would change the cap and if that doesn't fix it then run a compression check. T-stats normally stick open but they too can get stuck closed.

It's an unusual 68°F here but its been raining dingos and roos all week. Flood warnings out. I'll trade you for that 102°F. :)

There is no mileage recommendation on the head gasket. It is not a problem part on these engines
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Casper

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »

I do love a simple solution to a problem - as predicted in suggestions earlier a new radiator cap has fixed the problem - even on another 40degC day here in Adelaide no further issues.

Thanks to all for the help.

Happy new Year...!

Paul

mitch1204

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 09:41:23 PM »

There is no mileage recommendation on the head gasket. It is not a problem part on these engines

I was just throwing it out there as a thought. I could swear I read Ford recommendations somewhere but I've been wrong before. I lost my manuals when I dropped my old phone in a puddle the last flood we had. :)
Yeah the head gaskets seem well designed on these cars. It's the overheat head warpage that gets them.

mitch1204

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »

I do love a simple solution to a problem - as predicted in suggestions earlier a new radiator cap has fixed the problem - even on another 40degC day here in Adelaide no further issues.

Thanks to all for the help.

Happy new Year...!

Paul

Who said cheaper isn't better? Good to hear. :)

Simple? You have to clean the forum toilets for a month, lol.
Happy New Year!

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 10:39:55 AM »

I've never been wrong a day in my life . Just been mistaken a few times !  Keep the band aids handy and keep working on the little beasts  ;)