TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lifter noise  (Read 7235 times)

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
Lifter noise
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:48:23 PM »

Hi folks. I tried searching this topic but I'm on my phone and I may have missed it. Sorry if this has been covered.

When I start my 94 Capri in the morning, the lifters rattle for a few seconds, and then one keeps tapping at idle. When I accelerate, it stops. When I come back to idle it comes back. My question is, what do I need to do to fix this?  The car is due for an oil change.

Also, in the morning I seem to have a little power loss, more like not smooth acceleration or lag in the car pulling. After about 10 minutes it pulls hard (well for a Capri anyway).

Otherwise, the car runs like a champ and does not use a drop I oil or smoke.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a car guy but don't have much experience on these cars. I can work on a VW Bug, so I can do anything!  😁

Capri-guy

• 1994 Capri N/A & '86/'98 Saab 9000
Re: Lifter noise
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:30:26 AM »

i don't know if Capris are sensible for it but it could very well be Black Sludge, or a jammed sif. i suggest an oil change ad if the noises remain, i would check the oil sif in the sump. don't forget to change the oil filter as well. when draining the old oil, check for tiny pieces of metal. could be the metal from the crankshaft bearings.

when on idle, how's the oil pressure? and is there an oil light on?

(my judgement is based on my experience with and knowledge of Saab engines. some of them tend to be sensitive for Black Sludge)
1994 Mercury Capri 1.6 16v, reef green 173k mi.
1998 Saab 9000CSE 2.0t LPT Anniversary Scarab green 203k mi.
1986 Saab 9000CC 2.0i Odoardo grey, 153k km.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:37:10 AM »

I believe there's a ford TSB on lifter noise. Might be worth checking out. I think the "fix" is to drain oil, run ATF through at idle for 30 minutes, drain, refill with regular oil. The ATF has a lot of detergents that help dissolve/loosens sludge that clogs the lifter ports.

Seafoam in the oil may also help clear it up
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »

I use a 1/4 cup of acetone....run and rev it briefly and drain it and refill with fresh oil and filter. Works every time.

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »

I believe there's a ford TSB on lifter noise. Might be worth checking out. I think the "fix" is to drain oil, run ATF through at idle for 30 minutes, drain, refill with regular oil. The ATF has a lot of detergents that help dissolve/loosens sludge that clogs the lifter ports.

Seafoam in the oil may also help clear it up

I used sea foam once on a Mustang and it started using oil afterwards. I hadn't owned the car long so maybe it already used oil. I'm a little worried about that stuff though. I did the ATF trick once on a dodge aspen but we poured it in the carb a little at a time and it worked. I'll check out the TSB.

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »

Is there a place to read the bulletin and the recommended fix without a subscription?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »

Yes right on the main page of teamcapri.com there's a link for recalls/tsb's :)

http://teamcapri.com/recalls/recalls.html

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »

Thanks RM.  I put some ATF in the oil and it helped quite a bit. I still have one lifter that's making noise that I may have to replace, but after driving a moment or two it's quiet...only happens on start up.  I still need to change the oil so maybe that will help a bit too.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »

My engines always start to make noise when they're nearing time for an oil change - get it done!

ATF thins the oil out - you really don't want to drive with it in there. It's for flushing the oil just before you change it.

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »

Understood. I drove it gently for a few miles and haven't since. I need  to change the oil tomorrow night because I have to get an estimate for body work on Wednesday. Someone backed into me on Friday!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »

D'oh! Sorry to hear that. What's the extent of the damage?

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:04:26 AM »

Rear quarter behind the gas door is dented but oddly enough the paint is mostly ok. I'm taking it for an estimate tomorrow.

As for the lifters, they are much quieter now. I still have one that clicks upon starting but goes away quickly. I changed the oil tonight.

350boatracing

• 91 Capri 5 speed Non turbo
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »

Hopefully the oil change did it for you. Mine was rattling pretty good on start up then I did an oil change with high mileage oil and it took care of the problem completely.

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »

Hopefully the oil change did it for you. Mine was rattling pretty good on start up then I did an oil change with high mileage oil and it took care of the problem completely.

I ran some ATF through it, drove it gently for a few miles, then changed the oil. I used some Marvel Mystery Oil when I changed the oil and now the engine is quiet as a new one. I don't normally use "snake oils" but I know MMO has been around for decades.  It worked for me! Now I just need to order a new top from Russ and I'll be in great shape.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 01:57:32 PM »

MMO is glorified ATF :D has a couple extra additives and modifiers in it.

Glad she's nice n quiet now!

Pages: [1] 2