TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Headlight Troubleshooting - any further tips?  (Read 4982 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Headlight Troubleshooting - any further tips?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2022, 06:50:19 AM »

Easy first step for turn signals is to use a battery brush on the sockets and a little grease. Of course, all seven, I think, grounds in the engine compartment need to be cleaned and greased.

See, I'm a jerk and left both my multi-meter and power-probe at work, an hour away, last night. Now I get to spend all weekend on my car with the mystery electrical issue, with no diagnostic tools. But thanks Wolf, I do believe I have a tube of di-electric grease, a wire brush, and an angle grinder. At least I can rule out a silly ground issue.

In fact, maybe I'll go a bit wild with it. I can run a big fat ground from where I grounded the battery to the chassis, to the block and to the head. Then I can collect those (4 or 5, I think) little grounds all around the battery tray, and thermostat housing and run them right to the big lug I installed. I think there is one last little ground over by the FR headlamp/PS pump, I'd probably run that little guy over there too. Then I can check all of my engine grounds in one spot!

GermanXR2

• XR2 Turbo
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2022, 07:07:12 AM »

I had the same problem and was surprised how rusty the bulb holder was.
I wrapped a thick pencil with sand paper and then removed the rust from the inside of the bulb holder. To protect i use contact spray. Then I installed the bulb and the loose contact was still there. I use a spark plug pliers and reduced the diameter of the bulb holder. Now it works again.

The gasket around the light is dry, any possible replacement ideas?

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2022, 06:37:30 PM »

I had the same problem and was surprised how rusty the bulb holder was.
I wrapped a thick pencil with sand paper and then removed the rust from the inside of the bulb holder. To protect i use contact spray. Then I installed the bulb and the loose contact was still there. I use a spark plug pliers and reduced the diameter of the bulb holder. Now it works again.

The gasket around the light is dry, any possible replacement ideas?

Do they sell the big boxes with the multiple sizes of O-rings in them where you are? Maybe you'll get lucky and that'll have the right size. Otherwise, you could try and re-condition the original seal with silicone spray
Pages: 1 2 [3]