TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Emission Test ( Failed } 91 turbo  (Read 2819 times)

Reno

Emission Test ( Failed } 91 turbo
« on: July 27, 2005, 03:09:00 AM »

Hi every one ,

Can someone help me please ?
My 91 turbo failed the ( NOx } part of Emissions test . Max aloud is 2188 mine was 2575 .
They didn't give me any indication what could be the problem , So I have no were to start . Is their a test that I can do too find the problem ??? Or has anyone had this problem before ?? How did you fix it ?
Also , Is there any reason why the garage would have too turn the headlights on for Emission testing ??????? when they did this the parking lights where left on & it killed my battery .
I'd hate too let them work on the NOx problem .

Thank's for any help you can offer .

Reno

Reno_bello@yahoo.com

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »

I read on the mazda forums that this is caused by excessive heat during combustion. They reccomended checking your thermostat to begin. They also said something about retarding the timing. I'm not really sure...
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

pyroeyes0

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:54:00 AM »

NOX is nitrous oxide which is made when combustion temperatures reach over 2500F. This can be caused by:
An overheated engine lean
air-fuel mixture
Vacuum leaks
overadvanced timing
Defective EGR (of which a Capri does not have by the way)
Or high compression ( Unlikely for a capri unless youve made mods or your cylinders are full of carbon deposits)

zxtunerdotcom

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »

here's a list of what to do to fix (assuming a non-oil burning motor with idle speed and distributor timing set to spec):

1. buy a good fuel additive like techron and run it thru a half tank of gas.
2. is the check engine light coming on at all? if so run the codes, your o2 sensor might be bad. to check codes, ground out the green diagnostic connector under the hood, on the passenger side of the firewall, then start the car. the check engine light will blink fault codes (if any).
3. if no codes, then the 02 and other sensors are working as they should (or close enough), and it's probably time to replace the catalytic convertor.

rob