TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Right-o  (Read 3069 times)

WChris

Right-o
« on: July 14, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »

I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild myself, it's not going as quickly as I'd like it, but it's moving. I have the pictures up at Cardomain,  Here.

I'll never do it again. Ever.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Right-o
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »

Yes, engine builds are a pain in the ass. I won't do it again unless I have a sterile working space (IE a garage)

I will be doing it again but I have to secure some more parts and dedicate some major time to it.

BTW: the boost controller shouldnt run from the manifold - it should run from the stock nipple on the crossover pipe. The wastegate actuator should no be subjected to vacuum.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

WChris

Right-o
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »

I'm confused. I had no instructions on how to install the thing, so I compared the installation, from another picture of it installed from www.boostvalve.com no less. I've never really had any issues from it either.

The example here.

Are you saying just run it from the metal intake pipe?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Right-o
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »

Yep, they have it spliced into the bypass valve's vacuum line. The original wastegate's source would have been fine. Not sure why they did it that way.

If you say it works fine, I won't argue with that. I'm just saying thats not normally how they're installed.

That engine seems a bit weird to me - it uses the distributor from an N/A engine.

Got any good pics of your engine build? I'd like to see them, I had a recent thread about mine.

Good luck with everything, if you have any questions let me know cause I just went thru everything...

WChris

Right-o
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

I'll take your word for it and do it your way when everything is back in and going again. (Might be some time.)

I'll take some pictures when I get the chance, or remember to. I hate doing this so much, but I started it so I'll finish it.

Something I wanted to ask as well, did you sandblast everything you re-painted? I want to do the same to mine, but I can't sandblast mine. I was thinking I could clean it, prime it, and then paint it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Right-o
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »

I wouldnt reccmomend sanblasting after I've done it. Sand gets everywhere and its very hard to remove.

Get some good chemical cleaners, a wirebrush, and some sandpaper for the tight areas. A good tool I found for removing crap is a wirewheel. I had mine on a air powered rotary tool, but not everyone has access to that. You can put them in drills too.

As for the paint, I used Duplicolor high temp ceramic engine paint. You can pick it up at wallmart or your autoparts store. It really doesnt need primer, I'm not even sure if they make a high-temp primer. The paint holds up OK but its pron to being scratched off, and will peel if exposed to hot oil for long periods of time.

Another option would be powdercoating. If I had to do it again I'd probably get some parts powdercoated and just put it back together that way.

What exactly are you doing to the engine? I didnt dive into the internals because I dont have a clean enough area to do that so I left the shortblock stock.

WChris

Right-o
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »

I'm basically tearing everything down to the head and sending the block and head off to be worked on. After 164k miles, something has to be worn, so I'm not leaving anything open. www.nationalcylinderhead.com will be doing the work on the head and block for me. $1250 to get it done.

I'll be honest, I've never done anything like this, and it's been one huge learning experience for me. I'd never do it for the Capri again, but maybe for a RWD car. Less hassle with the tranny.
I had to do the engine removal -and- preserve the A/C. I diden't want to lose it. Something the pictures diden't show was the removal of the right half-shaft attached, as I coulden't get it off. I had to take it off at an angle. When I mean right half-shaft, I meant the drivers side. Was looking at the pictures.

Get the Engine/Block worked on, replace anything worn, make it run like new, and have fun. The basic idea.