TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: High/Low Idle problems  (Read 2825 times)

Gunnar Wolfe

High/Low Idle problems
« on: January 24, 2013, 02:59:00 AM »

Hello. I have a 93 Capri N/A, and I am having various problems with the idle. I replaced the Idle Air Control Valve, spark plugs, plug wires, and valve cover gasket. I initially thought that it was the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) because when I took off the old one the coolant port inside of the IAC was clogged. Me being ignorant on Capri's at the time did not try and flush out the hose, or get new ones. I am thinking that this could be the problem, but I am not totally sure. I have 120xxx on the Original motor.

The idle is fluctuating like this:
start up- 1500RPM- slowly going to 3000RPM. Then it will drop down to 2000RPM and pulse from 2k-2300. I am so lost on this now, I am going to get a new hose that connects the coolant to the IAC. But if that does not work, I have no clue what to do.
Capri? Retro as heck!

newboyracer

High/Low Idle problems
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »

That is an incredibly high idle, have you checked to make sure your throttle is closing the whole way? Maybe put some slack in the cable if its tight?
Time is the greatest teacher, Unfortunatly it kills all it\\\'s students.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
High/Low Idle problems
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:33:00 AM »

When it is running pinch off the air hose from the intake snorkle to the IAC and see if the idle goes down.... if it does looks like the IAC is stuck open. Also check the temp sensor under the intake manifold...that one goes to the ECU.

Gunnar Wolfe

High/Low Idle problems
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

How do I check the temp sensor? And I will definitely try the hose trick. And My throttle cable has plenty* of slack.
Capri? Retro as heck!

azgtx

• Old-Timer
High/Low Idle problems
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »

Take it out and test it in hot water with a volt meter...Since it is a pain to get out you might as well just put in a new one and eliminate one problem.