TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Dust cover in n/a distributor ?  (Read 2613 times)

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
Dust cover in n/a distributor ?
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »

Still messing with no start, new dist installed. Question on distributor :  the turbo dist has a dust cover beneath rotor under cap, the book shows NO dust cover under cap on n/a . Could this cause some issues ?? Was there when I got car . Rotor seems to be making contact on cap, can't tell if exactly where it should be, car ran fine before. 

Also I didn't get any responses on what the IDM ( ignition diagnostic monitor )  is or where it's at, my book shows and says zip about it .  Appreciate any help on this one ! 

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: Dust cover in n/a distributor ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »

The dust cap being present or not shouldn’t make any difference.

The IDM fault code is when the ECM doesn’t see a valid tach signal from the igniter module inside the distributor. You can see it behind the rotor when you have the distributor cap off.

Where did you get the new distributor from and do you have a voltmeter for doing some basic troubleshooting?

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
Re: Dust cover in n/a distributor ?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:45:38 PM »

Thanks for the response, didn't think the dust cap would hurt but had to ask ! Did the volt testing routine, again, no spark from distributor, coil was close on tolerance, got a new one anyhow. Returned dist and got another, it was DOA, another one on the way as we speak. Got a not so good rep at Cardone, was going to test one before shipped and no response almost a week later I called ...they had no record of it . Hats off to Rock Auto though, told them the situation on this 3rd dist, having sent #2 back already, and they are sending this one out asap. Hope the 4th time is the last time.
Almost resorted to getting a new ECM, but having warranty is supposed to take care of that .Thinking when they are refurbished they aren't using too quality of replacement parts, 1st I returned had a made in Taiwan sticker on the ECM, pointed that out to them when I shipped it back !  thanks again, happy motoring !