TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: front marker bulb socket  (Read 4891 times)

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
front marker bulb socket
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »

Hi all, is there a way to repair the front marker bulb tabs ? The tiny bulb socket in the turn signal housing . One of my tabs broke off and it doesn't look like it comes apart any way easy. So before I make it any worse, maybe one of you have a little guidance.....Thanks !

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: front marker bulb socket
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »

This weekend I was replacing my burnt out front park lights only to find I have the same issue with mine too.
I’ve been looking into a couple of possible solutions.

Drill out the old socket and glue a universal T10 socket into its place
install a cheap white led strip along the entire front marker/turn signal
replace the 1156 socket with a 1157 and install switchback leds inside the turn signals

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »

It's definitely a MacGyver moment. On the midcountry mustang page or whatever it's called, lol, he recommends a Dremmel tool, remove some tabs and glue one in. They all take 194 bulbs.

You can go to the AutoZone or Advance website, look under collision and body parts, work your way to light sockets without selecting a vehicle and you'll find a large selection to chose from. Look under side marker light sockets and I even saw one under license plate light sockets that had potential. It didn't have tabs but a larger flat surface with two screw holes. One could drill two holes in the housing and use that. Then it would be easily removed for a bulb change.

There was a few newer Fords with the right tabs but no pigtail. I guess if you wanted to buy the separate plugin pigtails one could go that route.

Dorman 85884 and a Dremmel has potential

Duralast 449 looks good and cheaper.

Dorman 85889 is the license plate one.

Have a good imagination and heat shrink your connections. You can get them all in one butt connectors with heat shrink on them. They work well.

You can always go to the next Capri meet and wait for it to get dark, lol. :)

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 09:56:56 PM »

Thanks for the response guys, my mind (?) has been in overdrive with possibilities. Drilling , I think , is on the for sure list.
Thought about the 1157 socket thing, like the Dorman 449 piece. Did like , while looking, Dorman 85861 too .. has a longer tube on it for just in case and Might fit inside better. Good idea on the led, dress it up a little. Don't think the midnite auto parts would work... already have a busted one ! 
Reminds me of a parts guy in town back in high school, someone would put a used part on the counter and ask for another one, his reply : We only sell New Parts here, go to the boneyard and find one of Those !!
Looks like a winter project, going in for a laser rooter in couple weeks, then couple weeks of take it easy, sucks, hope the end result is worth it !
Meanwhile I'll get some parts , and band aids n gauze pads, posi locs, plenty of refreshments too. Be putting the new radio in this weekend I hope.
Am kind of glad MacGyver came along , tired of Rube Goldbergs ways , guess I'm a wiser person in my years :D
Thanks again ! PS, Russ, if your reading this..check for my text's , left a couple on there !! Wally  ;D

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »

Wally-
Sorry! My phone has been in and out of the shop for the last month and a half - I see I missed quite a few texts from you! I'll get on the response.....

--R
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 09:17:17 PM »

Russ, If I find out that phone came from Australia, kiss it goodbye !!

boomer535

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »

The sockets are easy to replace you can cut off the old socket with a hacksaw or even a sharp Steak Knife will do. Use a boxcutter to shape the hole so a replacement socket will just twist in. I have photos of this I posted on the Capri Facebook site. This link might only work if you have a facebook account.         https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.843337889040255&type=1
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:59:05 PM by boomer535 »

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 11:08:08 PM »

I never knew there was a facebook page for the Capri.

boomer535

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »

There are actually 5 Capri sites on Facebook that I know of, two from the USA, one from Australia, and one each from the Netherlands and Thailand.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »

They're actually quite popular, however, it's much of the same questions over and over again.
At least on TeamCapri the information is saved in a reasonable format :)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"