TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Stall in drive  (Read 4627 times)

theunnamed1

• 1991 Mercury Capri N/A Auto
Stall in drive
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:30:01 AM »

I keep meaning to do some moding and contributing to this site, but it seems everytime I have the time or funds to do so, something catastrophic happens to my Capri.

Most recent problem has become quite a headscratcher. Been trying my best to diagnose myself without the use of the technicians I work with and without the use of this forum but it has led only to dead ends. So here I go, I'm officially asking for your help.

When I bought the car it had an occasional misfiring fit. Usually when I idled in drive at a stoplight after the engine had juuuust gotten to temperature. Replaced plugs. Better maybe, but not fixed. Cleaned cap and rotor, they were in good shape to begin with. It was a condition I could live with since it was only happening on occasion. So I saved my money for other projects on the car. Until... Two weeks ago car starts stalling out immediately atfer you throw it in gear. Idles splendidly  in all other gears except drive. So what do I do? Replace wires. Nope, not it. Replaced fuel filter? Nope not it either.

So now I start my research. There is a service  bulletin on tech Capri describing this exact issue. The fix is to cut a wire near the ECU. Except the wire was already cut so that wasn't the issue. I know vacuum leaks can wreak havoc on this car so I checked all the vacuum lines. They are all good. Upon inspection though, I found that the idle speed control valve (ISC/BPA) was unplugged. Certainly that must be the issue right? wWrong again kinda :/

When plugged In, the engine did not react as it should. It should have inceased in speed when actually all it did was nothing. So I replaced that and now that's operating properly. Except now I have high idlespeeds and the car is still stalling

Onto the throttle body... Gasket was broken. Fixed that. Throttle was slamming closed pretty hard so I adjust the dashpot. That's when Inoticed that the little screw to adust the valve position had be tampered with. It wasn't too far off from factory. (It was marked) fixed that. Tested with feeler gauge, there is room so its not getting jammed on throttle body. Used multi meter to get a reading of 654 kohms on the TPS which took several dozen times to get. Kept reading over load or 0 ohms. Suspicious...

Car still stalls when put into drive. I can force the car to run by keeping my foot on the gas but it runs really bad and stalls when you let it drop below 100rpm. Then you find white smoke coming out of throttle body. No check.engine light. TPS still only reads 654 kohms on occasion. The rest of the time its 0 ohms or over load. Car doesn't stall in drive when TPS is unplugged, it just idles at 500rpm and misfires badly.

Sorry for the novel. I think I better rrplace the TPS. any opinions as to what it could actually be?

91 Mercury Capri N/A 73k miles

theunnamed1

Re: Stall in drive
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »

Replaced TPS and that did not fix the issue. Cut the wire for the torque convertor, that also did not fix the issue. Did not really think that would be it anyways since it runs in reverse. Hammered near where the valve body is to see if maybe it was a stuck valve, still no fix. Managed to pull an EGO code the other day. It has never shown the CEL before this and never after. Strange. I bought an upstream O2 sensor today. We will see what happens.

theunnamed1

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:02:27 AM »

I give up. I'm taking my car to a good mechanic on Wednesday. I will contiinue to post updates in case anyone else has this issue in the future. Maybe I can save you some time, frustration and money. That's what forums are for, right? ;)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 12:17:59 AM »

The transmission is an F-4EAT, maybe googling your issue with that code may help. It's used in many, many Ford/Mazda vehicles though the case/bell housing is proprietary to the Capri as far as I know

Here's something I found: http://cartools.bloghi.com/2013/02/02/ford-mazda-f4a-el-f4eat-stalls-in-drive-only.html

The intake tube on the n/a has been known to crack with age
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

theunnamed1

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »

I will reinspect the vac lines. I replaced the PCV hoses because they were cracked. I also used plastic epoxy to seal the plastic elbow that attaches to the intake from the IAC/BPA. Doing my best to get this engine healthy.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 09:29:09 AM »

Have you checked the timing belt and made sure your cam marks line up correctly?

theunnamed1

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »

I suspected that. Which if it is, I don't have the expertise to fix. So its probably good that its at the shop. Water pump needs done so I was going to have that done anyways.

theunnamed1

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 11:20:38 PM »

Transmission. Something about first gear getting stuck. I don't know. I trust the guy. Swap cost close to $400 and found a tranny real close with 100k miles for $350. After water pump and everything I hope to escape the shop for right at $1000. After that I don't want to have to worry about anything mechanical for a while lol

Edit: Stuck in first and second at the same time is what I think he said. I hear these valve bodys suck. The Rpm's would flare occasionallly when the trans was cold when trying to get past 30MPH. This was before the issue I have now. Could it just be that? Is that why I can sometimes get the car to drive if I let it sit in reverse for 5 min before I put it in drive? If it is that, How much damage did I do buy driving it with this issue?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:46:15 AM by theunnamed1 »