TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: How do you set the TPS and test it???????  (Read 5072 times)

EZFEED

• 1993 Capri, 1994 Capri
How do you set the TPS and test it???????
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:39 PM »

:-\
Hey! New guy here! :)
I'm reinstalling my intake and throttle body after a thorough cleaning and have discovered there are some variables in reinstalling the TPS. Do I do it like the Mazda 323 or is there a different method?
The 323 TPS has three conections (psw,tl,idl) in the plug and the Capri has four (c,a,d,b). What method or procedure is there to test it and how do you adjust it once installed?

Also on the VAF. This new 93 that I just picked up has been butchered beyond belief :( It had so many air leaks that once I repaired them all it runs like crap now.
There is a plugged factory set adjustment screw on the VAF that sets the air bypass within the VAF itself. Has anyone had this apart and happen to know how to set it? How many turns? The former owner attempted to set idle by this and screwed it all up :(

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: How do you set the TPS and test it???????
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »

Welcome to TeamCapri!

The VAF's are calibrated from the factory and shouldn't be messed with. The spring tension can be tweaked if you really know what you're doing but a few clicks in any direction will leave it running like crap. Did they mark the original position?

I'd recommend grabbing a junkyard unit

Here's a snapshot of the TPS calibration from the FSM, sorry for the potato quality:

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EZFEED

• 1993 Capri, 1994 Capri
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 02:20:45 AM »

Ooooooh.....
See I was thinking it had to be set with feeler gauges like detailed in the 323 manual. So you just put the two screws in and rotate the assembly clockwise.

Also has noone here opened and fooled with the factory set VAF bypass???
I'm going to get a junkyard one and just measure the gap I suppose. Theres got to be someone who has adjusted that bypass airchannel screwin the VAF for hotrodding purposes. I'm just trying to get back to as close to factory setting as possible.

See whats happened now is that since this kid has fooled with the setting trying to fix the air leak >:( (stupid) now I cant find equillibrium between the idle air bypass on the throttle body and the VAF air bypass.

The VAF seems to function fine. I am getting control of the fuel with the adjustment but I can tell im not quite on it like I should be. Too much gas smell out of the exhaust and Im getting 14-18 miles per gallon :'(   

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »

Yeah you have to backprobe the TPS and if I remember right you are looking for .66 kohms or 660 Ohms when the throttle is closed. Its a more reliable & accurate way of setting it.

The bypass circuit never gets screwed with, as you've found out for good reason. Some of the old school guys on the 323 boards used to pop off the cover and mess with the VAF spring to change the mixture but never the bypass circuit. Since the advent of affordable DIY EFI management (Megasquirt & others) even that is mostly a thing of the past

Just grab the JY one and call it a day, who knows what else he messed with in there. Save yourself the headache

theunnamed1

• 1991 Mercury Capri N/A Auto
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »

Which wires do I test to get the reading of 660?

91 Mercury Capri N/A 73k miles

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »

I believe the wire marked "O" and "BL/Y" on the connector there