TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Help!!!! Electrical issue  (Read 2173 times)

kupasoh

• Capri, VW Beetle, Chrysler, Chevy, HarleyW
Help!!!! Electrical issue
« on: May 25, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

Hi. New to the forum. I bought my son a 91 Capri base with automatic 6 years ago. Currently it has only53000 miles on it.
After a long day on his graduation from college the battery was dead when we went to leave. I am embarassed to say that I hooked the jumper cables up wrong. Couldnt see well and went with black boot being negative. Wrong.
I repaced the main 80amp fuse that blew but car only Cranks and will not start. Can anyone tell me where to go next with troubleshooting?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

blueamber

Re: Help!!!! Electrical issue
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 10:52:45 PM »

This has happened before, so don't feel too bad.  The battery post positions are actually reversed in my 1994 Capri vs. my 93, go figure!!!  I assumed you checked the other under the hood fuses and they are all good.

I bought a dead Capri with a history of reversed battery leads, the 80 amp fuse was bad as well as needed another ECU (computer).  I see used ones for about $50 occasionally.  There are 2 types, one for NA and another for XR2.

I'm not sure how to conclusively test to see if the ECU is bad, lots of diagnostics rely on it giving a good signal, so other bad test results could be misleading.  It's under the dash, down low in the center, not 2 bad to get to, having a double-jointed back helps...Chris

kupasoh

• Capri, VW Beetle, Chrysler, Chevy, HarleyW
Re: Help!!!! Electrical issue
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »

Thanks  Chris!