TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Headlamp Issue  (Read 2536 times)

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
Headlamp Issue
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:18:51 PM »

So check this out.  The driver's side headlamp motor on my 91 is not working.  Pulled the motor, checked the gear teeth, cleaned off the contacts, retested it, and it tries to work intermittently.  Put the multi meter on it - shows a short in the motor.  I plugged up another motor - nothing happens.  multimetered the 2nd motor, and the 2nd motor checks out fine.  Looked at the wiring diagram, nd all I can figure is that part of the solid state relay governing the drivers side headlamp motor is bad.  Its kind of strange because the 1st motor tries to function but is erratic. 

With the headlamp motor disconnected from the headlamp, when I flip the up/down switch or headlight on switch, the relay in the dash makes a sound.  the passenger side lamp functions as it should.  If I begin to turn the manual crank on the motor, 3 out of 4 times the motor trips on and spins the gear.

Thoughts? 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

blueamber

Re: Headlamp Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »

How did you clean the contacts?  You describe how dirty contacts make the motor behave.  Clean all the old grease out of there.  Chances are it has contaminants from what made the contacts dirty (usually moisture, then rust from the moisture).  Use fine steel wool to make the 3 finger ends where they touch the disk SHINE.  Also make that disk SHINE.  Afterwards, put a light coating of grease on them (to help keep down future corrosion).  Grease where the wheel rotates.  I'd bet this fixes your issue...Chris

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »

I'll give it a shot!  Thanks Chris 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »

I agree with Chris, sounds like dirty contacts still. Yes to making the disk in there shine!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:28:23 PM »

Oh yes, just to clarify, do NOT use a copper cleaner product to make it shine, these products leave waxes and other chemicals that will make the motor not work at all.  As a young electronics technician, I though I would impress the boss with how clean looking copper cleaner could make the contacts in some old knife switches... he was NOT impressed with them looking like new and not working...Chris