TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: car sputtering and sounding crapy  (Read 9531 times)

kmblake

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3384876
car sputtering and sounding crapy
« on: June 17, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »

it sputters at like 2500rpm and up and goes a little slower on acceleration when it does it sound different when it happens like it doesn't want to rev any higher

sometimes it dosent do it but it does it most of the time i drive it know what could it be

someone help me

could it be the injectors?

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »

have you tried a set of plugs???   mine is very tempermental with its plugs and about every 6 months it needs a set of plugs it does similar to what your describing...

i wouldnt think an injector would cuase a stumbleing issue...

is it a turbo car???

220hp@18psi

kmblake

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3384876
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »

its a xr2 turbo

what plugs should i get

JackRobot

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »

Do a compression test, I have the same issue, my compression is 150 140 90 and 120.
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Project car
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Daily driver
1986.5 Nissan Hardbody project minitruck

Hollis

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »

I've had same problem lately it just doesn't have the same get up and go. 2500-3k slight accel or holding steady it seems to fall on its face a bit. But once boost is built its fine. No oil burning. Nothing that sets it off but check engine light. Mostly thats tied into the o2 sensor from what I've read right? Since we don't have the system to get it read.

I figured it might be my plugs/wires. 2 months ago we tried to change my plugs out, I never worked on a 4cy. Never seen plugs that go the deep into the block.. Kinda pulled ot hard and ripped it apart. 20 mins later I had it rigged up and it ran fine no missing.

Anyways around then is when it started to do it. But the plug I pulled did look fine. I really hope rings arent going no way I can afford it right now.

Let me know if you find ne thing out on it.

DashingDaryl

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »

I went with the Champion Copper plugs. I wanted to go with the Platinum plugs, because it sounds "Cooler" to say you have platinum plugs. However, my mechanic said that our cars were designed for the copper plugs and they will run better since the platinums are designed for a different ignition temperature. (Or something to that effect)

I do have to say, replacing my plugs, wires, cap & rotor made a HUGE, GIGANTIC difference in how my car runs. No more sputtering or slow pickup. The wires were the BIG difference. It looked like everything else had been recently changed but the wires were old. New wires gave me a new appreciation for the capri.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »

Copper plugs will work fine, they're OEM.

However Platinum and Iridium plugs will work fine as well, they make them in the OEM heat range so I kinda think your mechanic is blowing smoke. They work great, I've run both for many thousands of miles. Both are substantially more expensive but both have much greater life than a copper plug.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

bhazard

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »

Ive always been told coppers are the best for turbo setups. I pretty much exclusively use NGK V-power nowadays. At $2 a pop how can you go wrong?
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

Colorado1

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »

My car seems to miss and stutter under 2500 and when I let off while driving and get back on it at most any speed(like turbo lag but much worse).  After a couple head jerks it's fine again. Idles right. Hot is worse. While waiting for other parts I checked the compression:100,98,100,101. Replaced spark plugs with Densos, not wires yet, checked ground wires to thermostat since recent replacement. Read somewhere about removing a solanoid on firewall-still don't understand those simple instructions(FPS?). I do most my own work but by no means am I a gearhead. Parts go on when funds are available, but I've got to get the tuning right. Timing is on(12•). no idea?

Hollis

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »

Colorado. Check to see if your plugs are white. My car did the same thing. Almost sure its a cracked manifold letting in air. Atleast thats what all my friends keep telling me. Thats the o2 is being fooled.

Colorado1

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »

I checked the plugs and they look fine after 2 weeks. The wire I plugged in to the thermostat is right since the fan went on when unplugged with key on. Only ground unchecked is on the transmission that I can think of(raining now). Yesterday I sprayed brake cleaner around vaccuum fittings. Problem is it idles fine so can't tell any differences. On a pull it misses or hesitates a few then pulls through the higher ranges fine, unless I let off & back on it again. Bigger fuel pump? I don't red line it or anything, but if I want to chip down the road I want to know it runs right on beforehand. I appreciate all the input. Shouldn't the idle control screw be sealed completely? I can look in & see it-was heading in that direction next.

Colorado1

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »

Checked out what Hollis said & found a crack. Going to keep up at Cracked Manifold thread and if it's not a real problem I'll be back here. Any more advise is always helpful though, since cracks I guess are common if they aren't bad(hairline).

Colorado1

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »

I'm gonna continue here since I guess most manolds have a hairline & stay on subject. My vaccuum came up 13 1/2 @ idle & 14 1/2@ 2500 RPM's-it's got to be there but can't find anything. If $ I'd do a smoke test-has to be later. Compression seems low to me even though they're close as from above. Got a new fuel filter sitting here so might as well put it in. The bigger line running from below the PCV to the intake is cracky since it's ran across the top of valve covers-get that one done. If I can get ahold of a smoke machine where do I plug it in & what do I need to cover up? It's got too run right before I put any upgrades into this. There's a 94 with 40,000 less miles for $1800 sort of close-cheaper than dumping more in this one-but a solution would be nice so others can try to fix if they end up w/similar problems.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »

Your compression and manifold vacuum are both very low.

What mileage does your chassis/motor have?

Cracked line eh? That will wreak all sorts of havoc. Try patching it for now, see if it makes a difference, we can get a replacement for you.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Colorado1

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »

A lot, 165,000-that's why all bushings etc. being replaced. I'll get on that line. Just replaced the fuel filter found little toys, 37 cents, and a braided ground strap(18") with a 3" bracket under the rear seat. I know where everything goes except the braided ground-factory speakers, doesn't look like anybody has been messing around back there. Waiting for axle still after alignment. Thanks for being around on this stuff Rocket.
Pages: [1] 2