TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: how to install distributor on 91 non turbo  (Read 4444 times)

dalangston85

• 1991 capri N/A
how to install distributor on 91 non turbo
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:31:06 PM »

I recently removed my distributor to replace temp sensor probably wasn't necessary but to late for that now anyways after reinstalling my car wont start. I am having trouble trying to set the timing any help would be appreciated
-D-

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: how to install distributor on 91 non turbo
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:06:28 AM »

The distributor drops only one way as the tang is offset. You should have scribed the rotor position when you pulled it. No biggie, set the crankshaft at TDC. There's a few ways to accomplish this. Look down at the right side of the crank pulley/harmonic balancer. On the plastic lower timing cover you will see a line scale. You might have to clean it off to see the zero or TDC mark. It should be on the right side of the scale, a few lines in, the long line. Set the mark on the crank pulley to that.

Next remove the distributor cap and the rotor should be pointing close to #1. If it's pointing opposite your crank needs rotated one full turn. Now that you are close you can make sure the rotor is pointed at #1. If you look close at the distributor hold down bolts you might get lucky and see scribe marks from before.

Once you are close you should be able to start the engine. To adjust the timing the engine needs to be at operating temperature, both vacuum advance lines removed and plugged. I usually use a couple Phillips head screwdrivers as plugs as they are smooth.
The NA timing is 2° +/-2°
The turbo is 12° +/-2°

Timing right tighten down the distributor and recheck. If satisfied then shut her down and hook up your vacuum lines.

A couple other things to check...
Are all your electrical connections connected like the ignition module?
Did you remove the spark plug wires? If so then double check the firing order 1-3-4-2.