TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Manual Shift Button  (Read 3455 times)

Xodus989

• http://xoduslive.net
Manual Shift Button
« on: July 05, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »

Uh, hey, just got my capri off of someone on craigs list for 700 bucks, got a new transmission put in it for 2k.  The speedo cable broke and the past owners never fixed it, so the transmission was burned to hell when we got it.

But I have an N/A 91 automatic, what's the Manual Shift button for? And I'm thinking it's misleading, because when I pressed it, it still shifted!

Thanks for the help,

And btw, why is this site in iFrames? it's because of that google isn't really indexing it that well and it's not showing up when you search for capri forums.

ace586

Manual Shift Button
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »

I was wondering this same thing. Doesn't really seem to do anything when you press it but turn on a light in the dash. Would love to know the trick to it.

blueamber

Manual Shift Button
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:13:00 AM »

Supposedly that button inhibits shifting into 4th gear, "for slow driving on steep, slippery or dangerous roads"...Chris

Chicken

Manual Shift Button
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:58:00 AM »

It locks the torque converter and alters the maximum shift point by omitting Overdrive (4th gear).  Unfortunately, the Automatic Transmission used is recognized worldwide as a problematic system prone to failures.  Get a three speed with a govonor shifting system from an old 323  

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.