TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: injector misfire and check engine light  (Read 2538 times)

supercowmoo3

• 1991 mercury capri n/a, 1984 vw rabbit diesel
injector misfire and check engine light
« on: April 30, 2015, 11:08:20 PM »

My number 1 injector seems to misfire randomly and while wiggling the connections I was able to get it to run better for now but the check engine light is 21st staying on. How do you clear it so I know whether or not I actually fixed the problem? Does this car have a scan tool hook up location? It's a 91 n/a if that makes a difference

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: injector misfire and check engine light
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 11:57:24 PM »

You jumper a terminal under the hood, and then count the flashes of the CEL, this gives you a numeric code to look up. The table is here: http://teamcapri.com/howtos/cartroublecodes.html

There are old Ford tools that will do this, but they literally hook up to the same signals and count the pulses, and give you a readout. So if you can't count, maybe worth picking up lol

The scantools you're thinking of are for OBD-II vehichles which are 1996 and newer

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

supercowmoo3

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 05:55:58 AM »

That's what I thought thank you rocketman!

supercowmoo3

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:20:25 AM »

Okay I believe I fixed it. I unplugged all the injectors, filed the corrosion off of the one that was giving trouble, sprayed them all with lithium grease, and fixed some wiring that looked questionable. Now it runs like a dream, no stumbling at idle, no more missfiring, better throttle response, and I can't replicate the misfiring problem like I used to be able to so I'm gunna call that fixed.