TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Capri is off the road  (Read 3180 times)

Surfnut

Capri is off the road
« on: December 09, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »

I fired up my Capri for the last legal ride today.
Fourteen degrees outside this morning and she fired right up, brought me safely (and warmly) to and from work and then back to my parent's farm where the ol' gal's parked fer good.
It goes off the insurance on Monday, and not legal to drive after Saturday.

Unfortunately, something happened to the brakes on the ride to my parent's and the brake light is now on (still got 1/2 a tank of gas !!) and it'll run all day long with colder A/C than any new R-134 car I've been in to date.

I'll try to sell it locally in the spring/summertime and if I don't get any bites then I'll (gulp) part it out - which is a cryin' shame for such a good, solid car.
What a heartbreak.

Keep 'em on the road boys !
Gonna go cry myself to sleep now.

Dave

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Capri is off the road
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »

Hopefully you can sell it to someone! I love the color man...looks awesome
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Surfnut

Capri is off the road
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »

I hope someone will step up to save it.  

There's not a patch panel in the body and only a tiny, tiny bit of bondo was used to smooth out a couple little dings.  All the body seams are beautiful...such a shame the Ontario government has to control everything to such a ridiculous degree.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Capri is off the road
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »

Do they still crush cars that are caught street racing?
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Surfnut

Capri is off the road
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »

They only crush the green cars.  

I've never heard of anyone's car being crushed for street racing.  Did you hear that that happened in Canada ?

Dave

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

rcdraco

Capri is off the road
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »

That's just absurd.  I understand the point of putting those guys in jail, taking their licenses, but the hell you need to smash up a perfectly good car.  It's not the car's fault that someone was a moron.  Just another example of the nanny state telling us to be a bunch of pansies with hyudai's.

Surfnut

Capri is off the road
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »

I agree rcdraco.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Canada (and California) would take a stance like that on street racing.

(Observe as I jump up on my soapbox):
Canada is a wonderful country.  It has millions of wonderful, good, decent people in it (I'm not one of them) but I'm still proud to be a Canadian.
But, my government has its hands in WAY too much of its citizen's lives.  This crushing cars for street racing thing - perfect example.  Like the one article Gostlrs posted from Toronto that started off like this :

"Cars adapted for street racing can be seized and destroyed, even if charges haven't been laid and a race has not taken place, Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant said Wednesday.

Bryant warned potential racers that all it takes is a tip from police to seize and destroy their cars. Car junkies who pour thousands of dollars into their vehicles to make them as fast as possible are wasting their money, Bryant said.

"If we can establish someone has parts and they're juicing up their car — obviously for the purpose of street racing — then we can seize those vehicles," Bryant said.

"We will seize it and you will never see it again. We will crush your car, we will crush the parts."

This is a prime example of why I often hate my government.  The B.S. emissions test that forced me to pull my beautiful copper Capri off the road is another.  ****They can seize your car if they can establish someone has go-fast parts on their car ---- if no race has ever taken place ??  They can take your car if you upgrade your FMIC or install a hybrid turbo or a Rocketchip ?   WTF?!?!
 Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

You, my Capribrothers might not know how well off you are in the good ol' U.S.A..   I know different states have different rules (The California Legislature literally hates ANYTHING with an internal combustion engine and they go out of their way to make life miserable for car guys) but for the most part, I believe that most states are realistic and still allow you a great amount of freedom.

Honestly, I'm really happy for you guys (and jealous at the same time).  Canada has its problems....America does too but without a doubt, the vast majority of Americans have the generous gift of freedom that the Canadian government has taken away from Motorheads like me.

Good for you, sucks to be me.  {HA !  Story of my life!!}

(I drunkenly fall off my soapbox...)

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Live it up while you can Capribrothers.  Some do-gooder someplace has it in for all of us.

Dave