Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

New owner, new questions!

(1/6) > >>

Yzzerdd:
Hi all,

I'll give a small intro. My name is Ryan and I just bought my Capri yesterday. White with black top. Pics later. I spent all afternoon yesterday trying out fuel pumps from the guy I was buying the car off of(had a few parts cars) and broke down and got a brand new one. Installed, it ran perfect. So I bought it after getting her to run. Drove 80MPH home, 15 miles. Ran great today, too. Then at autozone, it died. Spent hours on the fuel system, even got another brand new pump(exchange) to no avail. Anyhow, it sat outside for a little bit, and I was given hope when I tried to start it. I could hear the pump working! Yay! I could'nt hear at Autozone(noisy).

Well, then I let it sit for a minute, tried to start again, and she fired up. Drove around the neighborhood fine. I did nothing. I know the cutoff is working dandy, and the only other thing I could think of was the relay under the console. I can see the wires, where is the relay? Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? I'm not tempted to drive it out of the neighborhood until I can find SOMETHING to replace or fix.

Thanks,

--Ryan
PS I got the car for a cool $900.

Yzzerdd:
Well I went to start up the car after maybe 30 minutes of it sitting, and she fired right up. Ran great, nice and smooth, then died after 20 seconds of running. No spits, sputters, etc. Just stops like I turned it off. Any ideas? Do these have automatic circuit breakers that turn themselves back on after awhile?

The pump DOES work. While cranking I hear the pump, and after I let off the pump stays on for a moment to keep pressure up. I think its got to do with a relay, breaker, or something else electrical. What do ya'll think? Where should I start?

--Ryan

Gostlrs:
bad gas?

put some b-12 chemtool in it...give that a try

icurunnin:
verify that you are getting spark when it does act up and dies. Pull one of the wires and stick a small screwdriver in it and place it some where close to metal for it to arc on.

if your not getting spark it could be a coil going bad (they act up when hot), or the distributor.

Yzzerdd:
Well I've been looking at it today, and I notice all the plugs and wires look great. Except one. There is a plug where right on the distributer cap, not only is the plug corroded(I cleaned it up some), but the hole in the cap is as well(cleaned as well).

This morning it wouldn't start. It seemed like it was starting great cold, but after a hot restart, it would die. That has been disproven, seems this morning, it would not start. I shot some starting fluid into the intake and she fired up. I'm begining to wonder if this is just a pressure problem. Maybe the fuel pressure isn't what it ought to be. After I started messing with the wires some more, it runs real rough when idling, but in the 1500-3000 range it's perfect. Think new wires will fix that? I did run some seafoam through the oil and gas.

Still, I'm stumped as to what would cause all this. Pressure makes sense, but yesterday I didn't get it to start on starting fluid. No check engine light while running. Just the airbag light, but thats how its been. I'll check for spark next time it dies. Would bad corrosion on just one plug wire indicate a failing distributor?

--Ryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version