Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Brake caliper rebuild

(1/5) > >>

yen:
Hello neighbour,
In a few days time I'll be doing some work on the brakes of the Capri.
At first it started as replacing worn discs but then I spoke to the brake shop and they said that I'll also need to do the pads (which is a given) and might have to replace the rear caliper.
He was a bit reluctant to book me in (mainly because they only open for 4 hrs on a saturday) so I figured I'd look into the matter and do it myself.
So what started out as a simple brake job has turned into a brake overhaul adventure.
So far I've bought 4 new rotors.
I'll be picking up :
a set of pads
4x brake seal kits
2x brake fluid
2x used calipers (from wrecker)
maybe wheel bearings (haven't had time to look at thet yet)

My dilemma is that I've never done anything more complicated than an oil change. I've read up about the process and I understand what I have to do but was just wondering how hard is it to replace the seals on a brake caliper? Anyone tackled the task before? Any advice to share?
And are the rear wheel bearings easy to replace?
Just fishing for tips, I've read up about the process over the past week.
Thanks guys

Gostlrs:
i have done a lot of brakes. make sure you have a rubber mallet to hammer off the rotors. as for the seals they normally pop in and seal right up. i would suggest maybe getting all new clips and springs as well since you got everything else. paint them while you are there too..LOL

yen:
Rubber mallet? No worries, I'll borrow one off a mate aswell as a G clamp
I didn't know you can change springs and clips aswell. I thought you had to reuse the orginal ones off the caliper.
Need the car on the road by monday morning so may have to forgo painting
Thanks for the tips Gostlrs

Gus Kelley:
Hey Yen! Oh! WoW!  Get someone with you that has some mechanical knowledge and experience. If the calipers are leaking get others, don't attempt to rebuild them.New bearings and seals should be installed, make sure the bearings are fully packed. The fitting that attaches the brake line to the caliper requires a special wrench known as a flare-nut wrench. With that wrench hopefully you don't round-out the flats on the nuts. The auto parts store should guide you properly. After getting everything together then comes bleeding the system. You almost should do front or back individually at a time, in case you get in over your head. Any procedure is always best done when someone is there to hold your hand the first time through. Wish you luck!  Gus

Rocketman:
Unfortunately the Capri is not like most other cars. The rotors are bolted to the inside of the hub, so its a fairly complicated job to replace them.

You'll have to unbolt the front axles, remove the hub (exposing the bearings) and unbolt the rotor from behind. These are not floating rotors like most cars where the wheel and lugnuts clamp the rotor into place. You need a heck of a lot more tools than a mallet to remove them.

The front bearings are pressed onto the hub and if you want to change them you'll need a shop press to remove and replace them.

The rear rotors I've never done. I believe the rotor is part of the bearing race, and the bearings should be serviced while you're in there. Again, not a floating rotor design.

Im not trying to be pessimistic but if all you've ever done is change your oil then this probably isnt the best place to start

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version