TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Replacing an engine  (Read 14577 times)

rcdraco

Replacing an engine
« on: May 18, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »

How hard is it to swap the engine on my capri, since my engine is too past it to recover it.  I found a cheap salvage title XR2, with low miles.  

I've never done work like this before, but I know plenty of people who have.  I have access to anything I might need: crane, stand, and all the tools to disassemble the engine.

The only thing I see as a problem is the transmission, do you recommend keeping the original in, or use the donor transmission?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Replacing an engine
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »

How is your engine "too past it" ? I still don't understand exactly what is wrong with your car, I thought it was electrical issues?

At any rate swapping motors is super easy. You could go with either trans - which is in better shape? clutch condition? I'd be a good time to freshen things up while it's out.

-Timing Belt
-Water Pump
-Rear Main Seal
-Clutch

For the price of gas I'm willing to come down & help ya
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

Replacing an engine
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »

Mine blew the headgasket, and after all that it still has 100k on the block, low compression, and all sorts of electrical gremlins to boot.

I'm thinking I'm gonna be able to pick the car up for $600 easy, since it's of no value to me as a car being almost impossible to register here.

Belt and Water pump are at my work luckily, the other 2 can't run too expensive, since I get a pretty nice discount and heaps of places to find parts.

Shocker

Replacing an engine
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »

Did u run it very hot when it blew?

Why not just get the head milled and throw a new head gasket on there if it was a minor blow.

Mark

rcdraco

Replacing an engine
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »

Like I said it still had low compression, and electrical gremlins.  Fixing the top end doesn't fix the rings and electronics.

Plus cost wise, it's cheaper to get a running car with an engine then to get this one fixed.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Replacing an engine
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »

100k is not a tired engine. It should still have good compression numbers (unless you tested it cold)

It'd probably be fine with a milling & new head gasket.

Putting in a new engine doesn't fix the electronics either.

As far as the clutch goes- you get what you pay for. Don't cheap out on it, especially if you want to do power upgrades in the future. (those $65 "OEM" clutches on ebay will not hold even a stock engine, trust me I know)

rcdraco

Replacing an engine
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »

So your suggestion is, rip the head off, take it somewhere to get checked out, throw it back together.

I can't seem to locate head bolts, can they be reused, or does someone sell them?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Replacing an engine
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »

That would be my suggestion yes - but a parts car never hurts if you can spring the cash on it.

It's been overheated? Did you replace the HG? If so - did you check the head for flatness before replacing?

The head will need to be checked for flatness & probably machined. The FSM outlines the procedures for both.

Head bolts can be re-used. They're not TTY style like GM uses.

rcdraco

Replacing an engine
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 02:31:00 AM »

Hadn't replaced the headgasket, because the car was running fine that whole time.  Turns out the reason that it blew up this time though was the intake manifold gasket was on backwards, from when a rubber freeze plug blew out the back.  This engine has almost been through hell already.  

I'll check around to get prices on it, I know a few people with machine shops.  Last place I went to charged $250 to get both front bearings done, with ME supplying the bearings and seals.  My manager races circle track, so he probably knows a guy who might be able to get me in to get this done.

Shocker

Replacing an engine
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »

Wait both front bearings as in wheel bearings????

you got charged 250 for someone to press out old wheel bearings and press new ones in?

please say im wrong, cause i just got new rotors and got charged 35 a side, napa wanted 60 a side

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Replacing an engine
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »

I have a writeup here on how to do front wheel bearings in your driveway. It's super easy if you have access to a press, but very hard if you don't.

rcdraco

Replacing an engine
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »

That was exactly what the issue was that I didn't own a press.  My dad's friend has a garage that just recently bought a press, but I'd still have to pop the knuckles off to get it off.

Ordered the headset, got the waterpump and timing belt.  Gonna tackle that next week hopefully.  Blow the coolant out, change the oil.  Should be running unless something else quits on me.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Replacing an engine
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »

I would highly recommend getting the other car for parts, you would be so surprised how much you can make selling the bits that you did not want or need. End result could be cash in your pocket and a free engine/tranny. I bought 2 of them (93 XR2 & 94NA) and made 5 times the money back. Swapping the engine in these are easy. Especially from another car because the harness has a quick disconnect. Do the swap & rebuild the other engine from the bottom up with the extra cash you make parting out the car. I tried to never pass up a chance to pick a car up for $500 or less. Especially a running one. Russ would agree to that..LOL
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Shocker

Replacing an engine
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »

I dont think youll make a lot of money parting things out, i mean you will have to sit on a lot of parts for a long time, ask me how i know

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Replacing an engine
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

I dont think youll make a lot of money parting things out, i mean you will have to sit on a lot of parts for a long time, ask me how i know
It also depends on what parts you're keeping. There's a lot of gold in the drivetrain. If you're keeping it for a swap, that's not revenue you'll pull in.

And also really depends on the rest of the car - lenses, switches, motors - all the stupid stuff that breaks all the time, these parts command high prices but only if they're intact & working

Sometimes it does take a while, and requests for unusual parts will come in too.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5