TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: my 91 is overheating fast , what could be the problem ?  (Read 4925 times)

fattie

my 91 is overheating fast , what could be the problem ?
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »

well i thought the fuel pump was dead on the 91 i just bought , but i put my festiva battery in it and it fired right up , only one problem , i let it idle for maybe 5 minutes and the temp gauge went threw the roof , and it was blowing white smoke. im not sure if this is because its been sitting for a very long time or i have a blown HG , i checked the oil and its golden , just like it should for only having 59k. so any ideas to as what couldve caused this ? i did plan on having the whole engine resealed.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »

Is the belt for the water pump intact? Is there coolant in the engine? Fan on the radiator working?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »

Hey Fattie!  While the engine is still in the car, do a compression test. If you don't have a gauge then pull the spark plugs and look at the tips. The one that is clean while the others are dirty is the bad cylinder. If the plugs are new then pull them and crank the motor and sniff each plug hole, the ones that smell of coolant tells you where to look for problems after pulling the head.  Be sure to check for warppage if no cracks are found. Of the four that I've done the head gasket on, only one had coolant issues and none of them had cracked heads. One I did replace the head because the warppage was excessive. I doubt you'll have much of a problem because it seems that these engines are strong. I believe because this car sat so long out of operation that the head gasket got weak.  Good Luck! Gus

fattie

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »

thanks for the help. a little more info. i let the engine cool down and checked the fluid in the rad , it was very low. so i filled it with water while the car was running and all it did was burp , it would suck the water in and spit it back out , it did stop smoking though and i checked the oil again and still like new. so i figured there is a blockage in there somewhere.

the temp gauge shot right up in less than 5 minutes of idling , btw it idled at 2k. there was no heat so i know the tstat wasnt stuck and it didnt seem to be sucking water threw the top rad hose. so i drained the rad and it was full of rusty looking coolant , so i flushed out just the rad a little bit but couldnt get the drain plug back in , the sway bar is in the way so tommorro ill be taking that off to do a complete flush of the motor. even if the HG is gone thats alright cuz i wanna reseal the whole motor. i hope the head isnt warped cuz the motor only has 59k miles on it , and that would suck.

fattie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »

oh yea , i was gunna rent a compression tester from autozone , how exactly do i do it and what should the comp in each cylinder be ? thank you

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »

Hey Fattie! Compression should be in the range of 140lbs to 155lbs. But the real concern is that the cylinders are consistent, with-in 15lbs of each other. The tester should come with instructions. If not then chime in.  Good Luck!  Gus

fattie

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »

thank you

fattie

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »

wow i feel like an idiot. i was messin around pullin the fenders off and stuff and noticed there was no belt on the water pump or alternator. i could of sworn there was one on there but i guess ive found my problem. lol

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »

Yep, that'd do it!!  Don't sweat it - it won't be the first time your car will make you feel like an idiot!!  Trust me!!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

fattie

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:23:00 AM »

i feel pretty silly. i hope i didnt do any damage. although ive been running it for just a minute or two as-is , it already idles alot lower and runs smoother.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »

I ran mine for about 20 minutes with the belt missing before I noticed. No damage was done.  Of course, I run 100% Amsoil in my car - trannie fluid, oil and coolant. The car never overheated, ran poorly, or otherwise acted like the water pump belt was missing!

--R
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

fattie

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »

thats  pretty good , what kind of amsoil do u use , i think this motor is gunna make my festiva really fun to drive. im glad i didnt blow it up.