TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: My lil 91 xr2 :D  (Read 4961 times)

Hollis

My lil 91 xr2 :D
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »

So I figured I would start off with a "build" thread. I just figure it will keep me on target if I have something I can keep up to date with my car.

Anyways, for the last year my dads had a car stored from a friend that I've been tryin to get off of him (my xr2). Finally last week he brought it home, it originally is from New Jersey has no rust 90k 5 speed turbo. So I had to have it. Traded my 92 f150 and some cash and I got my baby.

After a few hours I realized what I was in for. It needed:

1. Ball joint bolt
2. Sway bar bushings
3. Bearings in all 4
4. Temp gauge
5. Boost gauge fixed
6. New soft top
7. Hard top bolts

Anyways I soon found out that parts for this car are close to non existant, so that day I had to find a way to make a new sway bar bushing and put a new bolt in the ball joint.

5 hours of running to different stores I gave up got a kit from a corsica and started to grind metal off. Got it all mesured up and bolted up.

I ended up taken it out and was surprized how quick the lil car was.

Well the last couple days I've been cleaning it and trying to get it to 100% so I can start putting the fun parts on.

I ended up driving it for the last 8 days with a jersey inspection and no temp gauge(I know stupid)

Finally I bought a mechanical, and today I drilled out a decent size hole in the firewall to fit it threw and leave room for anything else I feel the need to run threw. Found out Advance sold me a non universal gauge and I had to get an adapter so now I'm awaiting that. Anyways here is a pic of my baby. It has ugly marks from the bra thats been on it since it was bought >.> but over all its in nice shape.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »

The suspension bits you're after aren't all that hard to find, if you need parts just ask, we can point you in the right direction. The Capri is a Mazda BF chassis, common with the 323, so there is a decent number of at least OEM quality parts around for it

I just posted up a bearing replacement guide in the brake section, some pretty important info in there, I'd recommend checking it out before you do bearings.

The XR2 looks good, take good care of her! Welcome to the forums, btw, good official intro!

-Matt
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »

hollis- welcome to capridom, the best damn forum in the world!!!! you need info, just ask, over night most times get at least 3-4 responses. No bull sht, just guys who know, from experiance. When looking for parts either on e-bay or craiglist, try "91-94 capri" see what pops up. midcountry mustang, capri is good, and the guys here on the forum mostly can get, or point out the way!! i personally have bought a rocket chip and j-pipe from the rocket man, Matt, hes knowlegable and knows his sht. lots of other guys and gals here to talk with. its an obsession, be prepared to take off in another demension... capridom
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

Hollis

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »

Ok so here is my wish list after a little research and a lot of help from others on here. I do have to say thanks to everyone especially rocketman for pming me and helping me out a lot.

First and foremost. This is my plans for the car, just something to keep me on track for what I'm doing as money comes... And goes lol.

So after heavy thought and a lot of talking to rocketman I've decided when money allows (by winter) I want to do a jdm bpt swap with the gtr version. I will provide links to everything I've looked at for a source if anyone else is interested.

The reason for the gtr engine is because quite simply I'm looking for a street monster and the little b6t is a potent engine but even after I put some serious cash into it. I still wont have what the stock bpt will give me. So I figure do right and get the gtr engine.

http://www.jdmracingmotors.com/product_info.php?products_id=69

I found that link of a fourm and they said good things about it. Don't quote me on that because it was just hear say but they have gtr motors in stock for anyone looking.

I also found how I want the car to look after I get past getting the 2-3k up to do my swap.

I found quite a few bubble tops you can buy, but one of the other members had a car that made me drool... And the bubble top is different, STE_6000 has/had a capri that is exactly how I've had mine envisioned. The blue paint is amazing looking.

I found the site he linked had a kit for 2k that includes the bubbletop/spoiler/body kit. Along with other parts. (http://ssv.com.au/model)

Its a pretty big wish list. around 4-5k worth of stuff. Atleast it will keep me on track.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »

Well double your bill from SSV...all parts have to be shipped in from Australia. It ain't cheap   :(  

I will say though, the genuine bubble top ™®© is really totally different and completely awesome. F40 spoiler is sexy too    

Don't forget the LSD you're going to need too!

Hollis

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »

Yeah I was thinking about that. So the body kit and stuff from ssv might be out. I really don't wanna spend that much money on shipping a body kit and bubble top.  :(  but on the bright side it leaves me to just get a bubble top close by (Possibly used) and find someone to fab up a body kit to fit my little capri possibly something more agressive.

The lsd is top priority after engine. Its a must imo. I'm excited to start saving for my capri.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »

I think Russ has a bubble top ™®© for sale, shoot him an email its cougar1prod@comcast.net

Hollis

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »

I emailed him about it.

Hollis

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »

After a year of having my capri. And only 3 months of it being on the road. I've replaced

Ball joints - pcv valve
Tie rods - dizzy
rotors - wires
All wheel bearings - cat
Brake pads - tires
Sway bar links -

Sadly she has the infamous short nose and it sucks. But I've been driving her with it all messed up.

Still trying to figure out my steering. She is all over the place. Starting to think its the rack that went out.

Also hearing a pop noise from the front. Figured its the control arm bushings. As money comes I try to get more and more parts. Sorta on the hunt for the leavers for the soft top hold down.

Also possibly a rack if anyone has a good one email me.

Going to be getting either a new 1.6 or going the bp route if I can come up with the cash.

I was a little bored and figured I would throw a post up.

And I know by now I could have bought another one. And with all the work I'm doing its probably easier. But I cant seem to put her up on cl..

Addiction runs deep lol.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »

Chris,

I have two power steering racks on hand here. I will be in Pittsburgh the weekend of Aug 27, would you be able to meet me somewhere just off Rt. 22 or something?

Also, you don't want to see my list of parts since 2004....................blegh!

Hollis

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »

Haha I can imagine. But yeah text me and let me know a price on one. I wont be putting it in till I get a new engine for it. I can't risk the belts breaking every other week if I hook up my power steering. I'm 99% positive thats what did the rack in this time.

Hollis

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »

So I feel as if I'm getting closer with my capri lol.

Next in line to be replaced.

Control arm bushings with urethane bushings.
New front rotors (bearings keep going pulled one the other day and found out the bearing is loose on the rotor)
New bearings(Again..)
New seals for all my rotors.

Just put new ball joints in at work on lunch lol.

After that she should be pretty much 90 ish %

All I need is another engine to complete her.