TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: super charger?  (Read 3567 times)

Sceeter

super charger?
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »

Hi Matt, I seen you posted that you was setting up a super charger system, are you using one from a Miata? Sounds interesting god I wished I had money. John     

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: super charger?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »

Nope, Miata stuff won't fit. I am using some of their designs as an inspiration for what I'm doing, but it's going to be all custom.

Won't be cheap. But it'll be unique!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Sceeter

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:50 AM »

Matt was just wondering how the setup would be, dumb statement but take pic. This isn't the big surprise someone in the Midwest was talking about last fall? I'm not changing my VAS  like I was talking  about just wish I the power up to 135, 140hp with out spending mad money,  like to be different. John   

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »

Not sure. The system I am designing will be similar to this:

Major differences:
My version will be built around a cheap, commonly available Eaton M62. The packaging of this charger is not as neat as the one above, so the manifold will be a very different design
The above system uses an Eaton M45 charger. It's under-sized for a 1.6L engine. The M62 is a better match

The kit is designed for throttle response, and to make good power. It is not designed for extreme power. It should be able to make similar power to a mildly to moderately modded XR2. (130-180whp)
Due to the packaging, there is no intercooler. Should be fine for very low boost, but water or water/meth injection just behind the throttlebody will be recommended.

The charger should be able to run on stock XR2 electronics & tune. So no super expensive or custom engine management. But I'm not positive on this yet. So if you have an N/A you will need to grab some XR2 engine management.

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »

i had the impression that superchargers could work pretty good with NA engines and not upgrade the computers with a computer from a turbo car.
i also have an automatic transmission.. do you think that would complicate the use of an XR2 computer?
omgimluvit

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »

You might be able to get away with the stock fuel system if you kept the boost real low. (~4-5psi) The XR2 equipment would allow a much larger safety margin, while offering knock protection (the XR2 uses a knock box to pull timing if there are knock events, no such thing with the NA) personally I would opt for the larger VAF, bigger injectors, knockbox, Distributor w/ timing intended for boost, etc...

I believe the auto transmission uses its own computer and harness separate from the engine harness, so there shouldn't be any complications

Advancedynamix

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »

The tensioner on that system in the picture is a timing belt tensioner from a VW. Not sure if that helps, but I figured  I'd mention it.
Stupid is as stupid does.

91 XR2 DD
93 Festiva B6T
84 Vanagon Westy
06 Chevy Pickumup

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »

Yup! The tensioner on my Isuzu is very similar  too.

I'm planning on using a serp belt tensioner from a GM 60°V6, theyre inexpensive & easy to use