TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: High oil pressure  (Read 4042 times)

shoeless3231

High oil pressure
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »

So I bought a 93 capri N/A and I am having a problem with high oil pressure. I have replaced the PCV valve and cleared a clogged breather hose but still having the issue. Any ideas I am kinda lost on it and just want to get it fixed

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
High oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

Are you going by the stock oil pressure gauge?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

High oil pressure
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »

What pressure it it reading.  Mine reads about 60 cold, 30-35 at 1,500 rpm until I get my idle set correctly.

shoeless3231

High oil pressure
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »

Yea I am going off the stock gage but I just had a shop redo the valve cover gasket cause I failed to do it my 3 attempts and they said there is to much pressure in the crank case and that is probally what keeps causing the oil leak. not sure on the exact pressure but it at the high point on the gauge while warming up then goes down after warming up to the middle but under acceleration it goes right back up there.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
High oil pressure
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »

Crankcase pressure and oil pressure are totally different & unrelated. If your crankcase is overpressurized you may have excessive blowby. A compression test will indicate this

Were you using RTV silicone to seal the corners neat the camshaft & distributor caps?

The stock oil gauge can't be trusted. I'd highly recommend a cheap aftermarket mechanical gauge. The behavior you're describing sounds normal though, you will have high pressure on a cold start & the faster the motor turns the more pressure it will generate

shoeless3231

High oil pressure
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »

Ok well he did say something about alot of blow by. So any ideas on how to fix the high crank case pressure and blow by? I didnt use the rtv sealant when I attempted it but that was one of the things they did to get it to seal.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
High oil pressure
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »

Blowby would be caused by worn piston rings. Try a compression test & see what it tells you.

You'd need to re-ring/rebuild the engine if that is the issue.

If you remove the oil cap while it's running, does it blow out a lot of air/vapor?

shoeless3231

High oil pressure
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »

I dont know if it is alot or not. It has as much air flow as if you have your air in the car on the first setting. I dont have a compression tester so i will have to figure that out. It did pass emissions today though.