TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Squeaking From Front Wheel  (Read 2278 times)

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
Squeaking From Front Wheel
« on: June 17, 2015, 11:05:06 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone could helps diagnose a small squeak coming from the front wheels of my '94 n/a. The sound sounds like a squeaky hamster wheel, and it's speed intermittent, starts at about 25mph. I turned off the engine whilst driving the other day to confirm the sound is coming from the wheels. Any ideas of what it could be? Wheel bearings?

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Squeaking From Front Wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:15:25 AM »

It could be a wheel bearing or the brake pads are wore out. Possibly even a CV joint if you have a busted boot. Inspect them.

The pads you should be able to visually see. The wheel bearings you can look for other clues. Is one wheel considerably warmer than the rest after driving? Jack the suspected wheel in the air. Wiggle the tire left and right then up and down. You'll see a little play both ways if it's worn out. Then proceed with a visual inspection. It's possible the bearings were not packed properly or they just have a lot of miles.

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
Re: Squeaking From Front Wheel
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:25:31 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, my guess is that the sound is coming from the cv joint. We'll see if it still happens after I replace the bearing.