TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Engine rebuilt  (Read 2960 times)

mcanchola2

Engine rebuilt
« on: July 12, 2014, 06:48:43 PM »

so im starting to rebuilt a spare motor i had laying round n/a(this is the n/a section) and apparently the motor was recently rebuilt.i had bought this capri off of a mechanic who didnt know what was wrong with it for $300(needed a new distributor)..now due to the fact that the person who rebuild the engine didnt know the history of these motors he put in the crankshaft key in wrong which led to the famous crankshaft nose snap which is the reason why i've had it just sitting there and taking it apart since its had roughly 7 yrs. lucky for me the small rust it had was just cosmetic it wiped right off.. reason why i say it had few miles since the rebuilt was because you can still see clearly the honing marks on each cylinder and did not need a reamer for piston removal.i'll upload some pics later. now im using techcapri.com as reference but im noticing that its for the 1991 turbo model can i used those specifications for the 1991 n/na model as well? clearance #s and torque?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:21:16 PM by mcanchola2 »

mcanchola2

Re: Engine rebuilt
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »

first one was wired brush back to shiny   :D

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 01:25:21 PM »

reason why i say it had few miles since the rebuilt was because you can still see clearly the honing marks on each cylinder and did not need a reamer for piston removal.

All of my high mileage engines (168k, 190+k, 181k) had clear cross hatching in the bores & the pistons came out perfect - materials sciences have come a long way. Probably hasn't been rebuilt before. The crank snout shearing can happen randomly as well regardless of which way the key was put in, when the key is improperly installed it usually wears and widens the keyway causing it to lose time with the cams. As opposed to shearing the snout off

Yes you can use the same tq specs for the turbo motor  the engines are the same minus compression ratio and a few other small pieces here and there

Good luck with the rebuild please post more pics as you go!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mcanchola2

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »

Thanks matt..will do.. and I didnt know we had aluminium pistons.. and I am looking forward to this small rebuilt