TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Two Questions re: Transmission and belts  (Read 2262 times)

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
Two Questions re: Transmission and belts
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:05:53 AM »

Hi folks,

I have a 94 XR2 that I recently purchased.  This is my second Capri, but first XR2.

First, the transmission makes a slight "whine" noise in all gears. If I recall correctly, my first Capri did the same thing. It doesn't sound abnormal, but there is enough noise to notice it.  Is there a place to check the differential fluid? Does the gear box use gear oil? (I am a pretty decent shadetree mechanic on just about anything, particularly VW beetles, so I can find my way around a car).

Second, one of the belts screams loudly when pulling out.  I thought it was the air conditioning belt as it seemed to do it worse with the defroster on, but now I'm not so sure. Does the compressor cycle in all positions, or just the defroster (and of course, when the air is used)?  I plan to just find the belt that's loose and tighten it, but haven't even had time to check to see if there's a tensioner on the belts, or if they can be tightened up.

Other than these two minor things, the car is awesome.  I just need to know what to watch on these cars maintenance wise.  I do have the original oweners manuals, and the PO gave me all of his shop manuals, as he's getting out of the Capri business, so I do have those resources.  I just wanted to consult the experts here for any tips/tricks because I want the car to last a long time.

Thanks!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Two Questions re: Transmission and belts
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:55:51 AM »

The speedo cable attaches to a small gear in the top of the transmission. This gear pulls out, and is used as the fill point & dipstick. There is a diagram cast into the transmission housing just above the gear.

When removing/reinstalling the gear - MAKE SURE it is seated all the way down before tightening the 10mm bolt. It will snap the ear off the speedo gear otherwise. Pot metal stuff.

Whining... I am dealing with whining in my 91XR2 right now. I think it's a tired transmission, but I'm not sure yet. I still have the stock ATF in it, which makes a terrible manual trans lube for most US climates. I'll be switching to 80w90 next time I'm in there.

As for the belt squeal - I can almost guarantee that's the alternator/water pump belt. It's a poorly designed system, the Vbelts tend to squeal under moderate loads. If your belt is old, replace it. If it's new, re-tighten it. I always carry a spare alt/wp belt in the car with me, sometimes two if I'm traveling with other capris :D Have the tools to change it.

Not so much a problem on the 94s, but the earlier cars like to eat belts. If you ever have to replace the alternator, be sure to use your original pulley. Some of the aftermarket replacements come with a pulley that's off just a bit and can cause belt issues.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
Re: Two Questions re: Transmission and belts
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:46:27 AM »

The speedo cable attaches to a small gear in the top of the transmission. This gear pulls out, and is used as the fill point & dipstick. There is a diagram cast into the transmission housing just above the gear.

When removing/reinstalling the gear - MAKE SURE it is seated all the way down before tightening the 10mm bolt. It will snap the ear off the speedo gear otherwise. Pot metal stuff.

Whining... I am dealing with whining in my 91XR2 right now. I think it's a tired transmission, but I'm not sure yet. I still have the stock ATF in it, which makes a terrible manual trans lube for most US climates. I'll be switching to 80w90 next time I'm in there.

As for the belt squeal - I can almost guarantee that's the alternator/water pump belt. It's a poorly designed system, the Vbelts tend to squeal under moderate loads. If your belt is old, replace it. If it's new, re-tighten it. I always carry a spare alt/wp belt in the car with me, sometimes two if I'm traveling with other capris :D Have the tools to change it.

Not so much a problem on the 94s, but the earlier cars like to eat belts. If you ever have to replace the alternator, be sure to use your original pulley. Some of the aftermarket replacements come with a pulley that's off just a bit and can cause belt issues.

Great, thanks for the info!  I'm anxious to check these things out this weekend when I have time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:04:08 AM by herdfan75 »