TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Knock Module Failure  (Read 2001 times)

rcdraco

Knock Module Failure
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »

When I purchased my Capri the knock sensor was disconnected, and the car operated pretty much OK.  Reconnected it and it seems to blow ignition modules within 10 minutes of cranking.  

Is there a chance the knock module could have an internal short causing this problem, or is it more then likely wiring?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Knock Module Failure
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »

Which ECU do you have? B6V8 or B6VD?

I've never tried it, but I've heard the XR2 will not run if it's disconnected. Something about it's essential for spark. I'll check, when I get the chance

But - I've never heard of a knock box failing. I have an extra one if you're interested
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

Knock Module Failure
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:41:00 AM »

I know the circuit runs through it and that with the sensor disconnected it bypasses the module in some kind of limp mode with X degrees of retard or something.  

Pretty sure I have the b6vd, but I have to check that later today.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Knock Module Failure
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »

If you have the B6VD computer, it's the wrong computer, thats the NA code. I know the NA computer will work fine without the knock box.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

Knock Module Failure
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »

Yea I can't read the code off either module I have, the one that was in my car had the heater core explode right over the label, the current one I pulled from a junkyard XR2, I'd assume it's a b6v8.