TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Losing coolant  (Read 3071 times)

wvengr

Losing coolant
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »

My capri overheated yesterday, and it turns out it was really low on coolant (near a half gallon).  It was full when i bought it and i have only been driving it two weeks, so this points to a bad leak.  Funny thing is there is no coolant on the ground.  Not a headgasket, as there is no smoke.  i had a car do this once before, and it was a bad radiator cap, it would dump the coolant out only at highway speeds, so i never saw it leave.  i replaced that, and it seemed fine driving to work today, but i have heard that the heater cores in these cars have a habit of going bad, so i would like to rule that out if possible as I have to make a 300 mile trip tomorrow.  I checked and the floor is dry, any other telltale signs?  Also, if the core is bad, how do I get it out, and where can i get a new one that will fit with little or no modification?  I know that roo-sport has used ones, but i don't want to put a used core in and have to do it again in a year.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Losing coolant
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »

Check for a pinhole leak on the coolant bypass system - either on the metal line or one of the smaller ISC/BAC / throttle / t-stat housing lines. I'd fill the system and then grab a pressure tester, then look for leaks.

If the heater core was leaking that bad you'd probably notice it. Quick fix is to bypass it with a loop in the engine bay
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"