TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Different Distributor option ?  (Read 2678 times)

CapriProject

Different Distributor option ?
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »

The stock distributor is an 'electronic ignition' type & not like the 'old-fashioned' points, condenser, rotor/rotor cap & vac advance distributors of the past.
Any suggestions where to start to look for an 'olf-fashioned' replacement for my N/A Capri motor? Did the earlier 323's have a simular DOHC motor that was non-FI & non-electronic ignition?
Incase your asking why... I want a more simple 'shade-tree-mechanic' vehicle with no computer & it's sensors. If it has spark & fuel it starts.   Thanks.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »

No. Mazda has been using an electronic igniton for a long time, even before EFI. Even the carbureated Festivas had a computer

Find a vintage points distributor & make an adapter for it.

What are you doing for fuel? The stock fuel/spark system is so very very basic compared to most cars - not much ever goes wrong with it aside from the occasional ignitor failure
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriProject

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »

I was thinking about making a template of the intake ports & bolt holes & look for possible manifolds that could be altered in the salvage yards. Or... fabricate one out of sheet metal & tubes. The old MG & Triumphs had pretty basic ones so did the old Pintos & Vegas.
If all else fails & it becomes too much of a project to change over I'll keep the stock stuff but I'd love to simplify the number of wires needed that connect to the computer.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »

Read this: http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=44713

Miata > carb conversion. Same engine but RWD

CapriProject

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »

I don't think sidedrafts wouldn't work on our engine / firewall issue. It sounds like they also are having problems getting rid of the computer completely. Thanks for the link. I'll put a lot more thought into this before I scrap the stock parts.
It's fresh on my mind today because my little 2007 PU truck wouldn't restart today (100+ degree day). It cranked, had spark & fuel but turns out the Intake ait temp sensor & the MA? sensor wasn't sending the correct info to the computer. After waiting for 15 mins. it did re-start but with engine light on & 'AC OFF' message was showing. I cleaned the two sensors & disconnected the battery for a while... now it's fine. Tempermental sensors/computer killed my whole day. Wouldn't have happened with the "old school" set-up.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »

No but you might have dealt with vapor lock on a similar day with an "old school" setup...

2007 = OBDII = very temperamental over the smallest things. I'll agree that the newest car's electronics are overly complex, I've seen a scanner computer connected to a late 90's Saab and it was able to tell exactly what % the windows were down. Then there's also the story of a faulty window switch being replaced, and the whole car had to be hauled off to a dealer for the computer system to be reset because it wasn't happy with a replacement switch.

The capri system is MECS = Mazda Engine Control System. It's Pre-OBDI. The system has a minimal number of sensors. It's kind of archaic, but it works. Tach + VAF singals in = fuel + spark out

I make these ITB's for the B6 DOCH. You have nearly 13" to work with on the Capri, a set of DCOE sidedrafts would certainly fit, especially if angled upward. The base manifold is my casting, the throttles are 2001+ Honda CBR1000 42mm throttles.

I don't see any sense in removing the stock fuel management though, on the sole basis that it's electronic and somehow inherently unreliable.

-Rocket

CapriProject

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »

That is one great looking set-up you've got there. I may be over-reacting on this... granted the Capri's system isn't "as bad" as the newer systems. It just hits me right in my 'weak-spot' knowledge wise. Cars, trucks, boats & motorcycles have always been my mechanical 'strong suite' until it got so electronic. I'll study the car's wire diagram some more to figure out how the electronics & I can 'get along'.  Thanks for all the help & advise.