TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Tranny Noises  (Read 4242 times)

WickedClown

Tranny Noises
« on: October 27, 2010, 03:03:00 AM »

My xr2 tranny has been making noise from vibration lately. Mostly in 3rd gear, a little in 1-4 but this vibration only happens around 3000 rpm and only sometimes.

Can these transmissions be rebuilt or would I be better off buying a used one? Has anybody had this happen with their tranny?

rcdraco

Tranny Noises
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »

Actually get a nifty vibration in my car at those RPM's makes my loose change and all the plastic's buzz.  Is it the whole car or just the shifter/clutch pedal buzzing?  

You mean the turbo manual transmission right?

WickedClown

Tranny Noises
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »

Yes, the turbo.
I've had the loose change thing for as long as i've had the car, but now it is the actual transmission making the noise, not the pedal, and does not vibrate the whole car. it started out being the tranny and shifter vibrating (the tranny sounds horrible sometimes), then the shifter stopped (does not vibrate any more), so now its just the tranny making noise. It does not sound good. It seems to drive just fine, except that now, almost every time I shift into 2nd from first, there is a click type noise that I also feel.

rcdraco

Tranny Noises
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »

OH.  Check your transfuid, sounds like you might need to add some.

WickedClown

Tranny Noises
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »

nope its not the amt of tranny fluid

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Tranny Noises
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »

Weird. How many miles on it?

I've never encountered any vibration, I have heard odd noises but that was associated with a grenading differential.

There are rebuild kits available, but I suspect you'll need many special tools to install a lot of the parts, might be wise to find a backup transmission. I usually keep an extra one or two on hand.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

WickedClown

Tranny Noises
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »

There's about 133,000 miles on the car. I have owned it since 120,000.

Phillip

Tranny Noises
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »

Has anyone half assed wired the shifter in place after the rubber cup went out. I remember the 93XR2 I had when the shifter dropped would make strange noises and gring gears etc.

WickedClown

Tranny Noises
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »

That doesn't sound good. The previous owner of my car already had the shifter fixed, so I've never experienced the loose shifter. That sounds annoying!!

huzrddy

Tranny Noises
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »

When my shifter dropped, I crawled under and shot 2 bolts through the floor, picked it right back up in to place and allows for me being a little less kind to the shifts.
Nitrous is like a hot bitch with an STD, you want to hit it, but you are scared of the consequences.