TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Car Set-up  (Read 7746 times)

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »

Hey ICU!  My car has stock engine. I have a 2 1/2 inch exhaust from down pipe to rear with a cat and muff. I have a re-mapped comp. mod. Boost controller set at 15lbs. Drilled out intake box. H&R springs. '94xr2 wheels with 195-15-55 tires. Short shifter. I believe at the time I had stock turbo, now have 14/16 hybrid. It's stronger. Stock inter-cooler. 190lph fuel pump.  Gus

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
Car Set-up
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »

im running a brand new NOS ford shortblock for the n/a(high compression)capri mated to a lightly ported B6T head with a cometic gasket and ARP studs, a ported intake mani, ported throttle body, DSM 450cc injectors with a resistor box. ported mitsu TDO5H-14b turbo, progressive hard pipes, FMIC, HKS SSQV BOV, custom intake, HKS VAF adaptor, HKS mushroom filter, custom PCV valve from the supra with a catch can, full urethane mounts and bushings, the pacesetter adj. shortthrow shifter, an ACT sprung disc with a centerforce 2 pp, Aem wideband o2, adjustable FPR, CDAS rotors, goodridge braided steel lines, tokico struts, intrax springs, 5zigen fighter wheels wraped in BFG G force tires,  

its a hella fast xr2 and it keeps getting faster... it runs a high 12 in the 1/4 with a good launch. and puts down about 220hp at the wheels... has little interior no front or rear bumpers just covers, no ps, no ac, oh hell thares alot more but i aint got time to type it all ... besides i already sound like an arrogant fuck... ask anyone on here im not... Joe

220hp@18psi

icurunnin

Car Set-up
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »

good stuff.

rci, how much for one of the stock manifolds with a mitsu flage?
3 92 Galant VR-4\\\'s = sold
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
92 Saturn SL2 turbo = burned (haters)
3 95 TSI AWD talons = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

yeah, there\\\'s more....

I have commitment issue\\\'s with cars

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »

its easy to do, take and get a stock mani.
(i got one if your needin it) get ya a dsm flange. set the flange on the bottom of the mani as close to centered on the hole in the mani as possible and weld arround the outside and inside with nickel rod. it sets the turbo lower, but the tdo4 hotside is a longer hotside ne ways so a new downpipe is in order... hell its a different flange to DP anyways then grind into the mani to clear the bolts on the flange... here ill post some pics to compare....

220hp@18psi

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

i Know a guy who is willing to make a manifold for us, you can put any flange on it that you want...but the first one will take time due to all the fitting...after that its cake
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

icurunnin

Car Set-up
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »

my problem is I dont know anyone who could do the welding for me that I would trust to hold up. Did you do the welding on that manifold?

What would you charge for the spare manifold you have with the DSM flange welded in place?

The turbo I have on mine must have been replaced a short time ago. I checked it yesterday for shaft play and it had ZERO shaft play in and out or up and down which really floored me.

I am sure it is do the fact an old lady had it and probably never went into boost. Since the turbo is in such great shape I would rather sell it off to someone who needs a stock unit and start off right with a turbo that can get me in the deep 13's without a problem.

There have been pleanty of DSM's in the high 12's with the 14b in their heavy ass 3400+ lb cars. I am sure with our light weight that it would have the balls to get into the deep 13's and high 12's without killing the turbo.

just my .02
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »

the guy i found who welds works for the city making crap and does things on his own as well. he actually is currently making control arms and suspension stuff for the lower class WV off road racing. i have seen his sand rail he built with a VQ engine in it and when given the time his work is nice. i do not think he would charge too much just to do the flange.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »

ok im just gonna let the cat outta the bag ...

making what i have is a PITA.. you need it welded with nickel rod and in order to do that someone needs to have a tig welder...
im just a stiffler on boost lag, and i wanted it done this way to reduce lag as much as i could ..

A MUCH SIMPLER WAY....

look closely at this picture....

better yet this one...

thats our manifold and turbo.. mounted on a
d-series civic i built a couple years ago...
in order to mount this you egg shape the center hole of the mani upward to fit.. allong with the top outter two in 45* outwards directions then it slides right on....

now reverse engineer this for a moment...

you buy a d series tubular or log mani, and egg shape the center hole downwards and the two top outters inward at 45* angles and a d series mani will fit right on one of our engines... theese are cheap and plentiful on ebay, and all over the net... most are flanged for t3-t4 turbos but you can buy adaptor plates to run mitsubishi turbos if you wish.. now most of theese will also allow you to run external wastegates and by default will flow more air than our stock manifolds (also increase boost lag) due to the hondas head desighn flowing more air than ours
(ours flow about 180cfm where most d series flow arround 220cfm) this is easier and will yield more power in the long run...

i know, i know, im too smart for my own good...
ive tried alot of shit and me and chris do research constantly to come up with this crap...
   be good and happy tuning...Joe

220hp@18psi

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Car Set-up
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »

dont necessarily need a TIG welder. A normal arc welder can do NiRod fine, but the trick is to superheat the manifold where you are welding it... oxy-acetylene works perfect there.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »

true an arc welder will weld with welding rod but the tig just does such a nice clean job...

just use a civic mani.. with a external wastegate and a t3-t4.. and make a rocket...
(no pun intended) LOL

220hp@18psi

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »

i think he has 3 welders at his house..i have no idea what one is what
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

icurunnin

Car Set-up
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »

I just want a more common turbo that has enough balls to get into the 13's with ease. That and are more common to find parts for.
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »

Hey ICU!  When time and money allows it, change to a hybrid 14/11 turbo. Start putting your dimes and quarters aside, getting ready when your turbo gives out.  Gus

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »

you want an 11 coldside, ill give you one if you ship it... you will need to find a good 11 wheel...

220hp@18psi

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Car Set-up
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 02:03:00 AM »

i agree..i been wanting to use a 16G since i got the car..for the simple fact they can run all day at the boost we can run on these cars. 16PSI is nothing for them...
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible
Pages: [1] 2 3