Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri XR-2 89-94

converting n/a to xr2

(1/4) > >>

ilarson007:
I am seriously considering swapping to a jdm b6t, if I can find one (Rob said he sells them for $700; of course this was a long time ago).  I know that basically everything from the crank to the hub is different (clutch, flywheel, transmission, etc.) and the outer parts are different (distributor, manifolds, etc.) so I am wondering what all is involved in this swap, and if I bought a complete jdm motor, what kind of work does this entail?  I can't figure out how to get my motor running (we have no idea), but as long as the motor ran when I got it here, I could bolt on all the new parts?  I know the computer is also different, but... still not sure.  So any suggestions and info is much appreciated.

1992xr2:
My first thought would be to just buy an xr2 they're cheap enough that you might end up ahead by swapping over all of your aftermarket goodies on to the XR2 then selling the stock n/a.  a good rule of thumb is to plan on $1000 more than you think it will cost when swapping an engine especially when it's turbocharged unless you've done the swap before.  but if you do decide to go through with it I think you might just want to swap in the whole xr2 front end, tranny, axles, crossmember then Megasquirt the whole shebang with Miata coils and rx-7 injectors then you'll have the ground work set for big power and not have to mess with splicing harnesses (much less wires with MS)

Rocketman:
Just get an XR2 man.

Otherwise you'll need:

XR2 Engine
Fywheel, clutch
transmission
Axles & halfshaft
front hubs w/ bigger calipers
XR2 ECU
XR2 engine harness (different from the N/A)
XR2 VAF
XR2 distributor
XR2 knockbox (hard to find, usually doesnt come with engine)
XR2 intercooler & piping (jdm engine won't come with this)
Entire XR2 pedal assembly (cable vs hydro clutch)
Clutch Cable
Custom exhaust (xr2 & n/a are different, n/a is way smaller)
XR2 swaybars

So unless you find a good running wrecked XR2 I'd suggest saving up & finding a decent one somewhere.

[ December 10, 2007, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Rocketman ]

CapriTypeR:
And I just happen to have a 50,000 mile 1991 XR2 for sale for $2250 obo!!!

---Russ

ilarson007:
prob is i dont have 2250, i have about 250!! i was going to do this as a summer project, but do you think it could be done for 1500 or less? the reason I want the jdm engine is because it has more power than the usdm engine (like 150 compared to 132)  I doubt that you'll have the 50k capri left when I have 2250 to spend (unless you want to save it 'til summer  ;)   ;) , lol)... to make a usdm xr2 around 150-180hp how much would that cost?

and thanks for the quick responses, much helpful... that was really quick, i posted that this afternoon.  well, off to do homework.  I'll check back tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version