TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Adding Power Locks  (Read 2674 times)

Ronaldhoff

Adding Power Locks
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »

I would like to add power locks to my 1992 Capri N/A.  At the present time I have the parts for the right door (actuator and latch) but not for the left (driver's side) door.  What else do I need?

georelle

Adding Power Locks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »

Check out Dakota Digital. They should have every thing you need. The prices aren't the cheapest but they have it all.

This link should get you started.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/Category_ID=480/home_id=-1/mode=cat/cat480.htm

George

georelle

Adding Power Locks
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »

I haven't had the doors apart much, I have never had the passenger door apart. But if the drivers side can be set up the same as the passenger side you might be able to get the parts off a parts car/junk yard from the passenger side and mount to the drivers side. There has to be a sensor on the drivers side to detect if it is locked or not. Maybe this can be replaced with an actuator. Then all you would need is the remote sensor and remote and probably a relay.

rcdraco

Adding Power Locks
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »

blueamber

Adding Power Locks
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »

I put in a system in my black 93 xr2 similar to this ebay item...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMOTE-POWER-DOOR-LOCK-NEW-CONVERSION-KIT-2-DOORS-/190613411142?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c6171d546

The actuators are universal, just fasten them in place, then connect to the plunger with the universal connections.  This system is nice because its a USA company, the door key will unlock the other door, as well as using the remote (and an installation dvd!)

rcdraco

Adding Power Locks
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »

Both my doors unlock when I use the key on the driver's door.  As long as the power switch is set to ON, and the battery is connected.     But yea, after changing out my front speakers 2 days ago there is a heap of room under those door cards for anything you want to add, what scares me is when I plan to replace my speaker wires and have to feed through that tiny hole.

blueamber

Adding Power Locks
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »

Yeah, speaker wires will fit through those holes, I'm working on mounting a pair of 6" OZ brand speakers in the doors, or rather in and on the doors, since they won't fit flush.

The remote door locks system is so nice, I also have the power trunk release installed.  

I bought an Audiovox system off Amazon for about $25, 2 remotes and everything I needed except had to add my own relays to power the actuators.  Instructions said I didn't need to, but I had a bunch of 30 amps ones laying around so used them.  Only thing missing is an inner switch to lock/unlock manually, but I don't miss that...

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Adding Power Locks
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »

You only need to add the actuator to the drivers side.....The passenger one will lock & unlock with the drivers door.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible