TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Front Bumper Replacement???  (Read 3394 times)

owent616

• 1991 Capri XR2
Front Bumper Replacement???
« on: February 28, 2023, 09:46:23 AM »

I was driving and my dad ironically in his brand new truck slammed on his breaks in front of me to avoid some car which had stopped in the middle of the road and I locked my tires trying to stop but I couldn't and gave his hitch a love tap on my front bumper and it looks horrible now I bought it with a dent in the metal above the bumper. I need to get it fixed but I do not really like the way the front bumper looks anyways and do not want to spend 500 on a new one if there is a bumper from another car that would fit. Does anyone know of a bumper that fits the car without too much trouble to put on? Also does anyone know how to get the dent out. I will try to add a picture below, I know it doesnt look great because it was late at night but it shows enough to see the problem. I can not figure out how to add the picture :(

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Front Bumper Replacement???
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 12:14:19 PM »

Yeah, adding pictures is a b!t*h. The only bumper that fits is a Capri and it is really tough to remove. There will be rusted and stripped fasteners.

http://web.archive.org/web/20151002171240/http://techcapri.home.comcast.net/~techcapri/ServiceManuals/1991/Group%2047%20-%20Body%20Shell%20Exterior%20Trim%20Frame%20and%20Underbody.pdf

This will show you how to remove the bumper and it is a pain. If it isn't cracked, you should be able to use heat to get it back out. If you Facebook, we have a group,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/210318449008872

that is very active and there are a couple of people parting out cars that could help you with a bumber. There are also several other Capri groups on there but some are based in Australia, so you'll have to be careful there. All have a lot of good people in them.
The dent in the header will have to be pulled or filled depending on how deep it is.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 03:59:54 PM »

The website www.car-part.com is excellent for locating parts nearby, sort by distance
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 04:58:20 AM »

If you don't have any luck with the Facebook group, I met a fella down in Southern PA last fall who has a garage full of Capri parts (and a Capri). I'm like 80% sure he had a spare front bumper, and I'm like 90% sure I still have his phone number. If you are anywhere nearby to the Reading, PA area, I can find out if he's willing to sell it. It wouldn't make financial sense to ship one any great distance, they are rather large and heavy.

As far as fitting a different bumper, that's gonna be a challenge. Unlike modern cars where the front bumper cover is just a thin plastic shell held on with nothing but clips holding it in, the Capri front bumper is the old-school steel front clip type of deal. The whole front end is essentially the bumper, including the crash structure. So to swap it with another car, you'd need to find something that's both old enough to be setup the same way, and with a skinny enough wheel base that it wouldn't look silly. Ummm, perhaps something like a 240z bumper, or maybe even something like an early 90s Dodge Dakota bumper? A super old Subie maybe? Good luck with that one

Original_Owner

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 08:12:23 AM »

I am the "fella in Southern PA", I am actually about halfway between Harrisburg and Allentown a few miles off I-78. I have a few parts, but DO NOT have a front bumper, except for the one currently attached to my Capri. I am in the process of preparing my Capri for the Ford show at Carlisle the first weekend in June. It is mostly stock at this point, but I am working on a few solutions/upgrades for the future however. I might have developed a rear brake upgrade, that uses 90% off the shelf parts. I do not use social media, but will post when I make major updates/breakthroughs, just none as of now.

owent616

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 09:26:48 AM »

Well unfortunately I am located in GA so that would be a heck of a drive, also my buddy wants to try and fill in the bumper with a foam sand it down and paint it again bc it was scratched up to hell before i bought it anyways. I will probably end up using the original as a mold and just adding the foam stuff he’s talking about(similar to the molding foam used to make custom wide bodies) and i was figuring it was gonna be a pain to take off the bumper 😂 everything in this car is a pain to do. the only problem is this car is my daily and i do not have another car to let this one sit without a bumper….

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 04:01:46 PM »

Car-part.com shows two bumper assemblies in Georgia, and a pile in FL, some in SC.
Have you looked at the FB group?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 07:32:16 AM »

I am the "fella in Southern PA", I am actually about halfway between Harrisburg and Allentown a few miles off I-78. I have a few parts, but DO NOT have a front bumper, except for the one currently attached to my Capri. I am in the process of preparing my Capri for the Ford show at Carlisle the first weekend in June. It is mostly stock at this point, but I am working on a few solutions/upgrades for the future however. I might have developed a rear brake upgrade, that uses 90% off the shelf parts. I do not use social media, but will post when I make major updates/breakthroughs, just none as of now.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but is the upgrade you're working on larger disc or replacement of the caliper?
Jack Byrd

Original_Owner

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 12:44:35 PM »

Both, it would use an entirely different setup, using a different hub/rotor and caliper but still maintains the stock bolt pattern. 

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 08:01:10 AM »

Both, it would use an entirely different setup, using a different hub/rotor and caliper but still maintains the stock bolt pattern.

Nice, keep us informed.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 05:34:00 AM »

This sounds promising. Gimmie a clue, what hub did you find that works?  ;D