TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Radiator help  (Read 4268 times)

waretrop

Radiator help
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »

HELP!!

I was trying to see how to remove the lower radiator hose on my 91 N/A and I hit the drain plug with my hand.  Dam thing broke off at the rubber oring seal.  Now I have the radiator out and am trying to figure out if I can remover the broken piece and put in a new one. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.  

If not anyone got a radiator for a 91 N/A?  I looked into getting a new one and seem to be having an issue finding one the right size.  Most of the Spctra models seem to be 26 1/8" core and mine is 23".  I did find one on Amazon if I have to go that route.  

Rocketman, you're close to me, you have one by chance?

Thanks, Kerry
91 N/A 5 sp - His
93 N/A Auto - Hers
93 Mustang LX Auto - ours

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
Radiator help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »

i ordered a NA capri radiator online, spent a great deal of time ensuring i ordered the right one, i saved a mint compared to other online stores..and they shipped something that was not as-advertised..
i shipped it back, went to a local radiator shop, and got the right radiator for not much more money.. i only had to wait a day or two.

as far as your plug.. it's plastic, i once did the same thing on another model of car and believe i unscrewed it by carefully drilling down the center with a drill bit (in reverse i think).
then i added a slightly larger drillbit and drilled into it in reverse to unscrew the old plastic threads.

i've also done this - if i can do it, anyone can:
if you can get a replacement plug, determine what size of bit you need to drill into your bung without hitting the threads, you may be able to patiently pull-out the plastic threads from the bung threads with a paper clip hook.

i do all this work on my back with the radiator in-place on the car so no foreign objects fall into the radiator bung.
omgimluvit

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Radiator help
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:53:00 AM »

Kerry the part you broke is called the "petcock"

See if you can get it out with a pair of needlenose pliers.

I believe you can find replacements at the autoparts store, bring the broken one in to match it up. If not I can check my parts bin and see if I have one laying around.

Don't need to replace the radiator - it'll come out. If you have trouble I could stop by with some hand tools. Let me know.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

waretrop

Radiator help
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »

Thanks for the ideas guys.  Barb took it to our neighbor who is a mechanic and he had it out inabout 30 seconds and even had a replacement for it.  Put back together tonite and all is good.  Thanks again.  Kerry
91 N/A 5 sp - His
93 N/A Auto - Hers
93 Mustang LX Auto - ours