TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Turbo removal requires moving/removing PS pump?  (Read 2609 times)

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
Turbo removal requires moving/removing PS pump?
« on: April 29, 2016, 12:49:19 AM »

FSM says yes, people who do this regularly say...?

I'm going to do the removal tomorrow, so it'd be amazing if I didn't have to mess with any of the accessory belts or whatnot.

blueamber

Re: Turbo removal requires moving/removing PS pump?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 07:45:54 AM »

The pump mounting bracket interferes with removing one of the exhaust manifold nuts, the bracket just HAS to be moved out of the way...

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »

Crapbaskets. Well that solves that, then.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 11:41:38 PM »

I take the radiator out as well anytime I pull the turbo and manifold. You just need the extra room and then you don't hurt the radiator either. Also the intercooler hoses need to come off.
 I just pulled one at the wrecker..took all of 1.5 hrs.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 12:13:00 AM »

Speaking of pulling the intercooler hoses, I need to do that anyway since there's likely a pool of oil inside that sucker. However, I can't seem to get to the inside of the three nuts that hold the front bumper assembly on. Is there a trick here I'm not aware of? As always the FSM just says "remove three nuts and remove bumper." Thanks, Ford. Those two inner nuts are the only things in my way.

Well, for the intercooler anyway. Then the fun-fun nonsense of dealing with the power steering pump.

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:59:16 PM »

You can get to the 2 nuts on the front from the fog light holes on the bumper (requires removing the fog lights). The 3rd one you get to from the wheel well, IIRC.
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 01:36:43 AM »

Yeah teh fog light holes were the only way to get to the inner ones, though it wasn't the fog lights that were the problem--it was the fog light mounting plates that are right in your way. I just spent half an hour going one click at a time with a reaaaaaaaaaaally long socket wrench to do the job. I'm dreading putting it back together.