TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: how to check engine codes?  (Read 14903 times)

ralph1118

• 92 xr2
how to check engine codes?
« on: November 06, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »

Would anyone be so kind to tell me how to check engine codes my light is on but don't know how to check it.I've found what codes are what but now explanation

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: how to check engine codes?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 01:24:08 AM »

I like to help (still green on this topic)  ☺ but from what I have learned so far is the Capri is unique from standard OBD test equipment. There is Rotunda test equipment that you can find used on places like eBay. The Rotunda has interchangeable faceplates and test leads depending on what test you are doing including retrieving and erasing codes. Pretty much a multifunction piece of test equipment that robbed the mechanic's wallets. From what I have seen you can spend a small fortune acquiring this stuff. Hardly feasible for using on one used vehicle.

This is one time only guessing at the parts might be cheaper.

What are your symptoms and maybe it's an easy problem. You can do like me and put everything new on your car. ☺

Hopefully one of the more experienced Capri members will chime in and enlighten us with a GM paper clip jump, lol.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:30:40 AM by mitch1204 »

ralph1118

• 92 xr2
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 07:40:12 AM »

Mitch thank you for your input and ill deff look into the rotunda. I read on here about the jumping wires and was curious to doing that I've search for a step by step but nothing comes up. That's why i posted to see if I can some advice on how to do it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 04:14:12 PM »

Here's the codelist: http://teamcapri.com/howtos/cartroublecodes.html

Don't bother with any of the Rotunda stuff. You only need to jumper a connector under the hood. That's all the rotunda equipment does, and the actual 'readers' they had only count the check engine light pulses to give you a code. Which is easy enough to do by looking at it.

I belive you jumper this connector to ground, then flick the key to the RUN position:

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

ralph1118

• 92 xr2
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »

Thank you so much rocketman that did the trick I've reset my codes and one that came back was the iat sensor so that means I have to replace the distributor?

ralph1118

• 92 xr2
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »

Whoops cid sensor

mitch1204

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 01:20:55 AM »

Thanks Rocketman. Being an earlier model I was hoping there was a simple solution. I was wondering since it's a Ford half breed. 😊

I still have my Ford OBD I code reader gathering cobwebs. I knew there was no plug in for that.

So you say the Rotunda stuff is a bunch of garbage?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:22:42 AM by mitch1204 »

blueamber

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »

Actually the Rotunda/Super Star/4EAT test system would perform pretty intensive diagnostics.  You would unplug the ECU under the dash, plug in the rotunda adapter, and all those sensors and switches connected to the adapter could be tested.  It requires a big  'computer' and lots of hardware, financially out of the reach of home mechanics and non-Ford neighborhood mechanics.  It seemed to be mainly used for static testing of circuits with the engine off, including automatic transmission testing.

Eventually someone figured out that it would be cool to have the smart diagnostic computer in the car itself, and OBD2 was born...

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »

The rotunda reader stuff specifically for the capri, won't tell you anything that the CEL won't with the jumper in.

There are some other Rotunda bits like a harness breakout board that let you pinpoint test ANY wire in the entire engine harness, which could be handy for troubleshooting some electrical gremlins
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mitch1204

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:37:53 AM »

Like Blumberg said it's not financially feasible for the home mechanic. If it was 1991 all over again I might consider investing in it. I plan on buying all new before everything disappears. That should out last me. ☺

Lol, my phone changed blueamber to Blumberg.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:40:34 AM by mitch1204 »

mitch1204

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 01:50:25 PM »

I know it's an old thread but Google recognized it. :)

I got my first check engine light and referred back to this thread for help. Piece of cake.

I got a code 15 pointing at the O2 sensor. I quickly found an old wire splice where the tape fell off and it was grounding out. A quick fix and code clear and I was back in business. Thanks for the knowledge!