TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Capri Steering Wheel  (Read 3443 times)

Andrew H

Capri Steering Wheel
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »

I have noticed that all Capris sold in the US have an airbag ( this was never even an option in Australia) the steering wheel also seems to have buttons on it presumbly for the sound system. I think it is quite a smart looking wheel and would like to put one on my Capri. Of course there is no wiring or sensors for the airbag but I might be able to get the radio buttons to work (if that is what they are). Is the wheel trimmed in leather and does any body have one for sale?

rcdraco

Capri Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »

Nope.  Inner buttons are cruise control, outer are the horn buttons.  The wheel is either leather or leather-like.  They seem to hold up pretty nice, from what I've seen of my car and the ones I root through in the scrapyard.  

If you find a later mustangs, they share the same wheel.  It doesn't exactly match ours since we have mercurys, but it should work fine since yours is badged as a ford.  But those buttons are for cruise, a bit of cutting and splicing it MIGHT be possible to do the volume control on the radio.

Andrew H

Capri Steering Wheel
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »

Thanks for that When you say later model Mustang what year are you talking about?

Cheers Andrew

drbob

• Old-Timer
Capri Steering Wheel
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »

you can also buy a 1993 Aston Martin Volante (saw one for sale at $175K) and use it's steering wheel.
Mid-America Capri Gathering Founder/Team Capri Moderator
--------------------------

1994 Mercury Capri made in AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN Cattle dog/brittney mix
AUSTRALIAN Shepherd
Is anyone else sensing a pattern?

rcdraco

Capri Steering Wheel
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »

1987-93, before the smooth style is a DEFINITE.  I would suggest against the aston, since you A. won't find one and B. A mustang one would have a ford badge in the middle.

drbob

• Old-Timer
Capri Steering Wheel
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »

I'd get the Aston, that way you can say you've got the steering wheel of a $175,000 car.  That should get you the polished turd award at this years gathering.
Mid-America Capri Gathering Founder/Team Capri Moderator
--------------------------

1994 Mercury Capri made in AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN Cattle dog/brittney mix
AUSTRALIAN Shepherd
Is anyone else sensing a pattern?

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Capri Steering Wheel
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »

Any other wheel will NOT fit! At least, not without a hub adapter. Any adapter you get will have to modified, as well, as there is nothing available "bolt on". The US wheels will not fit your AU capri, either.
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Andrew H

Capri Steering Wheel
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »

Ok
I can't use the US steering wheel on my RHD Capri because it won,t fit.

I won,t get the Aston Martin because i can't be bothered rumaging around for small change.

I am however very interested in the polished turd award Best make some space on the Mantle.

Cheers Andrew