TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: mpg gainers?  (Read 3793 times)

BlewitUp

mpg gainers?
« on: January 17, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »

Just a few thoughts you guys might be able to help me with...

My Tranny is on the way out. I don't know what's wrong with it. Frankly I can give a shit less.  I have read that the Turbo Trannies are a little taller. So it got me thinking, if I grabbed one of those I might be able to pick up an MPG or two with my N/A Capri. (manual trans).  Performance is a joke in this thing anyway... It does handle good though.

I was also wondering where I could find a write up for a homemade cold air intake.  I have made them for old beat jeeps with PVC.  Has that been done here too?  I guess I am a little intimidadted with the big ass air box and sensor.  (I should really use the search for this one)

Anyone using an oil catch can? Did it do anything for ya?

Lastly, the some assclown put in a new exhaust in this car using the old muffler.  He was probably the same douche that F'ed the fuel pump gasket.  They are like $40... Really? Geez.  Since I am shooting for a MPG monster, any recommendations? I hate cabin drone.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
mpg gainers?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »

I have an N/A manual trans for sale for $200+shipping if you're interested. Also have a couple Gtypes but you'll need to switch axles, flywheel, clutch, clutch pedal, clutch cable to run them. But with the Gtype, you can swap the 5th gear out for a taller gear.

For an MPG monster you don't necessarily want cold air, warm air is less dense & doesn't require as much fuel. A mass air intake in the engine bay will work fine for that. (simple - cone air filter on the VAF)

The airbox & VAF aren't scary at all - simply remove, unbolt the VAF, add adapter for cone filter or piping, and make a support bracket. I make a high-flow adapter, if you're interested.

For exhaust, keep it on the smaller side - no more than 2". A Thrush turbo muffler will work good, it'll keep it quiet. Delete the cat if you can. Could go with a tubular header, too.

Catch can won't do much for performance for you, it'll just keep oil from the intake.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

BlewitUp

mpg gainers?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »

Thanks rocket...

Interested in the cone adaptor.  I have looked on your page. The casting stuff is pretty sweet. I would love to get into doing that.  I am glad you mentioned hot/cold air.  I over looked that aspect too.  Can you tell I just blurted that post out?

(EDIT: What do these things use to measure air? VAM? MAF?  Do they even correct for air density???)

I was looking for a turbo trans. As stated, I am under the impression they have a bigger spread in the gearing.  I have found them locally for $200 or less with warranty.

On the catch can, that is the point.  That can kill performance and MPG.  

as for the header... I don't know why I didn't think of that.  I was looking for something to practice on! I might just make my own.  Thanks for the tips on the exhaust.  Cat is long gone on this thing.  Someone stole it.  Ha.  I was hoping to turn it in for $45

I may even go as far as making a fuel preheater too! Who knows...

unrelated: I may have to post another thread about my idle issue.  I am fairly certain I know the answer, but I always like to post issues with fixes some other can benefit.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
mpg gainers?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »

Hah, sometimes ya just gotta get the thoughts out there!

The ECU uses a VAF to measure air, which means Vane AirFlow sensor. (the box has a spring-loaded Vane or, affectionately "flappy door" inside connected to a variable resistor, the ECU knows airflow vs. resistance) It is not at all a MAF as it measures volume and not mass. There is an IAT located in the VAF unit which is used for temperature correction.

If you are interested in casting - check out backyardmetalcasting.com - big support forum there too.

The XR2 trans does have a slightly taller final drive. But like I said above, it's not at all a direct swap for the F-type, there's a lot of parts needed to make it work.

I didn't notice any difference in using the catch can, I don't think there would be a measurable difference when switching to one.

For the header - I've been told you can modify one from a 2.0L probe (re-drill the flange) or use one from a D(?)-series honda (again, redrill the flange) I have a source for laser cut flanges, if you're interested in making your own.

Go ahead & post your idle issue, we're here to help!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

BlewitUp

mpg gainers?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:41:00 AM »

Sorry.  I didn't realize the "G Type" was the turbo trans.  My mistake.

So i guess the witht he VAF it can kind of correct for temp/density.  I was going to show how smart I was and say, "It wouldn't matter with this type of air meter".  See how smart I am?  Ha.

When I finally get a place that has more than a 3/4 car garage... I will look more seriously at the casting stuff!!!

Catch cans work on some cars more that others.  Where I saw the biggest difference was in a Saturn.  Go figure with the way they eat oil.  My 2.3 ranger picked up a MPG with one.  They def. don't hurt.

Where do you list your for sale products rocket?  Just on your site?  Do you have a store site?