TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Ignition Module Discussion  (Read 2703 times)

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Ignition Module Discussion
« on: September 27, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »

I'm the next victim of the ignition module blues. 12V on the black/yellow wire and no tach movement when cranking.

I noticed when shopping they sell the internal ignition module and also there is an external ignition module yet I couldn't find anything in manual about it.
Is this only a NA thing? What is the purpose of the external module? It looks like it has an inductive pickup similar to a crank or cam sensor.

I got excited to see mine had the cheaper external module only to be disappointed to recognize the internal module plugs into the pickup coil only giving the appearance of one unit but it's two. The three pins out was the give away.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: Ignition Module Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »

The external module on the N/A’s dizzy is not the ignition module, it’s the cam position sensor.

The N/A’s have the ignition module inside the dizzy and the cam position sensor is located externally. XR2’s on the other hand, have both the ignition module and cam sensor located inside the dizzy.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 04:47:28 AM »

Thanks, that makes sense and completes my mystery, lol. So it controls the fuel injection?

I wonder why the parts stores call it an ignition module? Everyone of them list it as such. An external one and internal one adding to the confusion. I noticed when I pulled it off its inductive pickup sensing an extension of the cam as all cam sensors do.

Attention parts stores: Call the dang thing a cam sensor, lol.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »

The cam sensor only affects the timing of when first pair of injectors pulse so they correspond properly with the intake cycle of their matching cylinders (1 and 3). Then the ecm sees two pulses of the tach signal and pulses the second of injectors so they match the intake cycle of their cylinders (4 and 2).

If you think parts stores calling the cam sensor an ignition module is bad, just look on how a lot of them list the engine temp sensor, coolant temp sender, and coolant fan switch as “temperature sensor” with different part numbers….LOL

The worst part is even the FSM is wrong. If you look at the N/A’s dizzy parts breakdown, they completely forgot the cam sensor.